These are the steps I follow to connect to chat:
Before you begin.
- Subscribe to Champions Online. This only works for gold accounts.
- Download Pidgin: http://www.pidgin.im/
- Sign up for the test shard: http://www.champions-online.com/test-shard-signup
Note, rights from the test server may take some time to propagate for the the purposes of chat. If you're not able to connect right away, give i 24 hours and try again. If you already have an account on PTS, you should be able to move to the next step right away.
- Start your Pidgin client.
- Click on Accounts > Manage Accounts.
- Click the Add button.
- On the Add Account dialog fill out the following:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: <Account Name> (The login name used for CO Live/Holodeck)
- Domain: CrypticSpace.com
- Resource: <Anything> (Equivalent to character name in game)
- Password: <Your Account Password>
- Check Remember Password (if desired).
- Click Add.
The account information should look something like this:
If you're successful, you will see a list of all the SG's you've ever been a member of and a list of your friends:
One of the reasons I like Pidgin is the ability to access the global chat channels.
- Start Pidgin
- Navigate to Buddies | Add Chat
In the Add Chat Dialog...
- Select the CrypticSpace account from the drop down menu
- Type in the name of the channel you want to join. Replace any spaces " " with +. "Champions RP" should be typed as "Champions+RP" for example.
- Type in channels.crypticspace.com as the server. This is different than the default.
- Type in the name you want seen in that channel as a Handle
- Nothing is required in the Alias or Password fields.
- Select the group where you'd like the channel to appear
- Check "Autojoin..." and "Remain in..."
When you click "Add' a new tab with that channel will appear in the chat window.
There are a couple of things I should point out about using Pidgin for chat.
- Anonymity is not respected by Pidgin. If you log into the game anonymously, Pidgin users can still see you as online in the list of online friends and channel members.
- You cannot initiate a private message by right clicking on someone from the list of online channel members. Use Buddies | "New Instant Message.... You will need to type in their global handle.
These instructions for connecting to a SG chat from a friend at the Teen Phalanx.
Select "Join a Chat" from the Buddies menu.
Select your Crypticspace account from the account list, and click the "Room List" button
Verify that the conference server is guilds.crypticspace.com, and click "Find Rooms"
If all has gone well, you should see a list of SG chat channels in a separate window, in the following format:
Click the "Join Chat" button to simply join, or the "Add Chat" button to permanently add the channel to your contact list.
I hope this helps. Let me know if I can provide any additional information or assistance.