Notify Message
Forums
#8396350 Sep 04, 2013 at 10:22 PM
PRIMUS Mod
457 Posts
Well, I definitely have some good news on the PDB front - my good friend (who happens to actually work for GoDaddy's web hosting service) is giving me a hand in setting things up for the rebirth of the PDB. He's given me a lot of help on what the site would need to properly run, as well as giving me a pretty crazy deal on their top tier hosting costs.

IF all goes well, the PDB should be back in 2 to 3 days.

HOWEVER, like before, the data will have to be put in from scratch. Thankfully u4dandy's old host is still up and running so text and pictures can be pulled from there (it's just 4 months old). And hopefully everyone got their Google cached copies of their text back from the old site. If not, go back a page or two for detailed instructions.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Here's to hoping for the best.
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8396360 Sep 04, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Member
116 Posts
Pretty much the awesome right there. :D
#8396465 Sep 04, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Member
819 Posts
Only one of my characters wasn't cached so I just gotta redo his bio, easy enough. Rewriting the the Freelancer stuff, that is gonna suck xD
#8396517 Sep 04, 2013 at 11:28 PM
106 Posts
Awesome news :)
Thanks for the work and effort you guys put in there! It's really appreciated.
Characters: Black Knight | Karn | Broadsword | Vakar Arthak | Cursed

PDB-Userpage
Playerhandle: @BlackMethos
Official forum nick: Thargir
#8399458 Sep 05, 2013 at 02:42 PM
75 Posts
#8396350 Bob From Accounting wrote:

Well, I definitely have some good news on the PDB front - my good friend (who happens to actually work for GoDaddy's web hosting service) is giving me a hand in setting things up for the rebirth of the PDB. He's given me a lot of help on what the site would need to properly run, as well as giving me a pretty crazy deal on their top tier hosting costs.

IF all goes well, the PDB should be back in 2 to 3 days.

HOWEVER, like before, the data will have to be put in from scratch. Thankfully u4dandy's old host is still up and running so text and pictures can be pulled from there (it's just 4 months old). And hopefully everyone got their Google cached copies of their text back from the old site. If not, go back a page or two for detailed instructions.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Here's to hoping for the best.



I am incredibly grateful for you, your friend, and any and all who may be involved in resurrecting PDB. Much appreciated.


Check out the Calamity Cain Cast of Characters here on PRIMUS Database!
#8399471 Sep 05, 2013 at 02:45 PM
615 Posts
#8396465 Keioseth wrote:

Only one of my characters wasn't cached so I just gotta redo his bio, easy enough. Rewriting the the Freelancer stuff, that is gonna suck xD



About that, you might want to check the cache again.

A recent cache of my Henchman page with all its updated information on it appeared about a day ago out of nowhere, so it might be the same for others.
"Swixer's meandering and maundering comments obviously indicate that he intends to replace intellectual integrity with scummy sloganeering in a matter of days." -- Edvyn
#8399646 Sep 05, 2013 at 03:31 PM
PRIMUS Mod
457 Posts
#8399471 Swixer Wuz Here wrote:

#8396465 Keioseth wrote:

Only one of my characters wasn't cached so I just gotta redo his bio, easy enough. Rewriting the the Freelancer stuff, that is gonna suck xD


About that, you might want to check the cache again.

A recent cache of my Henchman page with all its updated information on it appeared about a day ago out of nowhere, so it might be the same for others.

*looks*

Well now THAT'S interesting. You're right - I have a newer version up on Google all of a sudden, although it took Googling the exact address (not 'Primus Database Razira', but Googling exactly for http://primusdatabase.com/?title=Razira) to find the cache.

But it's dated 8/25 instead of the 8/20 version I had before. Thanks for the info!
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8400892 Sep 05, 2013 at 11:44 PM · Edited over 4 years ago
PRIMUS Mod
457 Posts
Well, as some of you no doubt already know (I see you editing over there), the PDB is back up and running once more.

HOWEVER...it's still in full debugging mode, along with the server being updated and such. So it'll bounce between super-fast speed and zero with no warning. At least for a little bit longer (hopefully no longer than a day or so).

ADDITIONALLY...until some server modifications have been made, putting external links into your pages will be very annoying, as the 'cat protection' will pop up. That fix should go in tomorrow morning sometime. You'll still have to verify that you're human when you make a new account via the cat stuff (which worked very well before), but it won't bother you past that.

FURTHERMORE...not all the stat boxes are up yet. I won't be able to do it before I call it a night, but one of the mods might do it before I do tomorrow.

ALSO...you'll have to make a new account.

Useful links:
http://www.mediumsizedrobot.com/primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
(the old PDB site from 4 months ago)

How to find your Google cached pages:
Google either: Primus Database YourCharacterName
OR
Google: primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=YourCharacterName
OR
Google: primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=YourCharacterName&action=edit

Replace YourCharacterName with whoever you're looking for (obviously), click the down arrow after the link, then select Cached. The very last Google suggestion has the bonus of being the actual source material that the PDB is looking for (so you can easily paste it in). That's also the least likely to be current (or even available).

Also, with Doc stepping away from the PDB (for now), and u4dandy not playing CO anymore (but thank you for being an awesome host all these years), I'm apparently the 'boss' if you will of the PDB. I, along with a good friend who has nothing to do with CO or CORP, figured out hosting and everything else. I'm glad that my friend is so knowledgeable in sites and such, as I don't know the slightest about all of that, as well as any of the technical coding needed to run the site.

That said, any problems or anything else, please let me know.

Have fun. :D
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8401037 Sep 06, 2013 at 12:43 AM
106 Posts
Well, let me say: Thank you, to both you and your friend, for the work and effort you're putting into this. It really is appreciated. I'm looking forward to putting my pages back up :D
Characters: Black Knight | Karn | Broadsword | Vakar Arthak | Cursed

PDB-Userpage
Playerhandle: @BlackMethos
Official forum nick: Thargir
#8401054 Sep 06, 2013 at 12:49 AM · Edited over 4 years ago
102 Posts
Thank you so much, Bob. Thank you so VERY much!

EDIT: Any way we can import the code or formatting? I can't seem to go into the actual source for Snow's page. :C
#8401319 Sep 06, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Member
116 Posts
Words cannot describe the depths of my gratitude! :D
#8401442 Sep 06, 2013 at 03:39 AM
Member
65 Posts
All i can say is THANK YOU!

Was looking at at making a Profile before, just on the Day it went down.. now i will definatly do one for Ashley and Sarah.. Possibly Troll.
Light and Dark are two sides of the same Coin.
Humanity is what happens when it lands on it's Edge.
#8401852 Sep 06, 2013 at 05:58 AM
615 Posts
Quick note: You may have noticed that the sources for some of your pages are cached now when you search source [insert name here] on google. This will make copying recent versions of your pages to the new Primus Database much easier.

However this also means you are doing no favours to anybody if you put their page up for them, as it may end up caching the new page rather than using an updated version of the old one.

It may also mean you might want to wait and see if you can get a more recent cache of your source before putting up a page.
"Swixer's meandering and maundering comments obviously indicate that he intends to replace intellectual integrity with scummy sloganeering in a matter of days." -- Edvyn
#8401920 Sep 06, 2013 at 06:18 AM
615 Posts
Welp.

We already killed it.
"Swixer's meandering and maundering comments obviously indicate that he intends to replace intellectual integrity with scummy sloganeering in a matter of days." -- Edvyn
#8401926 Sep 06, 2013 at 06:19 AM
PRIMUS Mod
457 Posts
#8401920 Swixer Wuz Here wrote:

Welp.

We already killed it.



I can see that. That didn't take long.

What'd you do? :P
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8401928 Sep 06, 2013 at 06:20 AM
326 Posts
May want to start a new thread for this. The OPer stated he doesn't have time to update stuff and whoever is running our PDB should also have control of the OP so updates are easier to find.
#8401940 Sep 06, 2013 at 06:24 AM
615 Posts
#8401926 Bob From Accounting wrote:

#8401920 Swixer Wuz Here wrote:

Welp.

We already killed it.



I can see that. That didn't take long.

What'd you do? :P


Everything I touch turns to dust.
"Swixer's meandering and maundering comments obviously indicate that he intends to replace intellectual integrity with scummy sloganeering in a matter of days." -- Edvyn
#8401965 Sep 06, 2013 at 06:32 AM · Edited over 4 years ago
PRIMUS Mod
457 Posts
#8401054 Dabbs wrote:

EDIT: Any way we can import the code or formatting? I can't seem to go into the actual source for Snow's page. :C



No. Everything was completely lost for the old site. The only data we have access to is the old 4 month backup as well as what Google might find.

For you, Snowtalon, I can't find a source edit on Google. Best is I can find is all the text by Googling for this:
primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Skarius_Snowtalon

And Citizen13 makes a good point - I'll be making a new thread momentarily.

EDIT: I can't make a new thread in the CORP News section - I don't have the authority. LOL
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8402114 Sep 06, 2013 at 07:11 AM
326 Posts
FAIL!
#8402162 Sep 06, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Moderator
544 Posts
#8401965 Bob From Accounting wrote:



EDIT: I can't make a new thread in the CORP News section - I don't have the authority. LOL



Make it anywhere else, we'll move it for you.