Notify Message
Forums
#13079566 Feb 20, 2017 at 09:33 PM
1041 Posts
If your interpretation of VIPER is that they can, and that would work for the scenarios you want, I doubt many CO players would have a problem with it. 😉 I don't think the VIPER source book supports that, FWIW. Outside of VIPER's ruling Council of Thirty, hardly anyone in VIPER is aware that Nama is VIPER's patron, including the organization's snake cultists and Serpent Mages. Of the few outsiders in the modern world who have heard of Nama, most know him only as an obscure West African snake-god, although a handful of mystics are aware the great serpent actually exists. The only member of Dragon Branch noted to have any connection to Nama is his daughter Viperia; she's the sole person I might expect to sense her father's touch on Pride.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter. Nama very rarely involves himself in VIPER's activities. So long as VIPER remains strong and comes to Nama's call when he needs them, he cares little what else the group does. OTOH the goals of VIPER's leadership are what they want, not what Nama wants.
#13079896 Feb 21, 2017 at 01:31 AM
105 Posts
#13079566 Lord Liaden wrote:

If your interpretation of VIPER is that they can, and that would work for the scenarios you want, I doubt many CO players would have a problem with it. 😉 I don't think the VIPER source book supports that, FWIW. Outside of VIPER's ruling Council of Thirty, hardly anyone in VIPER is aware that Nama is VIPER's patron, including the organization's snake cultists and Serpent Mages. Of the few outsiders in the modern world who have heard of Nama, most know him only as an obscure West African snake-god, although a handful of mystics are aware the great serpent actually exists. The only member of Dragon Branch noted to have any connection to Nama is his daughter Viperia; she's the sole person I might expect to sense her father's touch on Pride.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter. Nama very rarely involves himself in VIPER's activities. So long as VIPER remains strong and comes to Nama's call when he needs them, he cares little what else the group does. OTOH the goals of VIPER's leadership are what they want, not what Nama wants.



So I see. I think I have a bit of motivation to run Serpent Lantern now :) Anyway I thank you for all of this information my lord.

I do wonder though, besides Otanga's men and VIPER (a superhero too close to their Mbang Mountain base or shrines to Nama is probably a dead man walking or a tortured hero talking I imagine, hence being enemies), any other groups that Pride might bring the ire of or encounter in some way due to his powers and origins?
#13080762 Feb 21, 2017 at 09:28 AM · Edited 3 months ago
1041 Posts
Hmm... interesting question.

As far as "groups" go, DEMON maintains a Demonhame in Lugendu, under the cover of the Good Samaritan Mission, one of DEMON's hubs for acquiring slaves for its ritual sacrifices or other magic experiments. Pride's magic powers could have been noticed by a Morbane, by chance or if Pride attempted to rescue slaves in their possession. DEMON might want to learn the source of Pride's powers, or try to compel him to serve them. (Come to think of it, DEMON could be an alternative origin for Pride, or any other supernatural character. Their projects have produced a few official superhumans, willing or not, by design or accident.)

Marcella Latour, the Canadian ambassador to "a French-speaking West African country," is also secretly a member of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. She's researching African folk magic, funneling conflict diamonds to the Circle's coffers, and subverting the local government. Her interest in the first could lead her to investigate Pride. Champions Villains Vol. 2 p. 21 also notes that Latour's activities might draw the ire of Joseph Otanga or DEMON, so Pride could get caught in the middle.

The Pan-African Brotherhood is a vaguely Marxist revolutionary group based in South Africa which wants to overthrow the SA government, but also aspires to export revolution to the rest of Africa. The PAB could offer "assistance" to rebels against Joseph Otanga, but have pretty extreme ideas as to what sort of government should replace him. The PAB have a superhuman of their own, called Ironhorn, who's inhumanly strong and tough, and wears a horned armored helmet and technological blaster gauntlets. Ironhorn will also sometimes take jobs for other parties outside South Africa to raise money for the PAB. (Marcella Latour, above, could be one such party.) Ironhorn's write-up is in Champions Worldwide.

Champions Villains Vol. 3 writes up the Living Sphinx, a monstrous demonic lion-man who comes from the Egyptian region of Faerie. The Living Sphinx is a powerful predator who feeds on the souls of beings who die in his presence. While any death will sustain him, beings with strong magic powers are most nourishing and "taste" particularly savory to him, so the Sphinx goes out of his way to hunt such beings. He manifests on Earth most often in the region of Egypt, but in the modern era has appeared elsewhere in the world.
#13081277 Feb 21, 2017 at 01:14 PM
105 Posts
#13080762 Lord Liaden wrote:

Hmm... interesting question.

As far as "groups" go, DEMON maintains a Demonhame in Lugendu, under the cover of the Good Samaritan Mission, one of DEMON's hubs for acquiring slaves for its ritual sacrifices or other magic experiments. Pride's magic powers could have been noticed by a Morbane, by chance or if Pride attempted to rescue slaves in their possession. DEMON might want to learn the source of Pride's powers, or try to compel him to serve them. (Come to think of it, DEMON could be an alternative origin for Pride, or any other supernatural character. Their projects have produced a few official superhumans, willing or not, by design or accident.)

Marcella Latour, the Canadian ambassador to "a French-speaking West African country," is also secretly a member of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. She's researching African folk magic, funneling conflict diamonds to the Circle's coffers, and subverting the local government. Her interest in the first could lead her to investigate Pride. Champions Villains Vol. 2 p. 21 also notes that Latour's activities might draw the ire of Joseph Otanga or DEMON, so Pride could get caught in the middle.

The Pan-African Brotherhood is a vaguely Marxist revolutionary group based in South Africa which wants to overthrow the SA government, but also aspires to export revolution to the rest of Africa. The PAB could offer "assistance" to rebels against Joseph Otanga, but have pretty extreme ideas as to what sort of government should replace him. The PAB have a superhuman of their own, called Ironhorn, who's inhumanly strong and tough, and wears a horned armored helmet and technological blaster gauntlets. Ironhorn will also sometimes take jobs for other parties outside South Africa to raise money for the PAB. (Marcella Latour, above, could be one such party.) Ironhorn's write-up is in Champions Worldwide.

Champions Villains Vol. 3 writes up the Living Sphinx, a monstrous demonic lion-man who comes from the Egyptian region of Faerie. The Living Sphinx is a powerful predator who feeds on the souls of beings who die in his presence. While any death will sustain him, beings with strong magic powers are most nourishing and "taste" particularly savory to him, so the Sphinx goes out of his way to hunt such beings. He manifests on Earth most often in the region of Egypt, but in the modern era has appeared elsewhere in the world.



Hmmm, a ritual sacrifice gone wrong, could be the source for an empowerment. Any other ideas if DEMON could be involved in his origin?

Seeing as the Circle is covert, I see them hiring a villain to engage him and test his skills, or maybe obtain a blood sample.

I like Ironhorn and the PAB, they would make for a nice potential enemy group or flavor for background.

I like how this character is coming along. :)
#13081540 Feb 21, 2017 at 03:15 PM · Edited 3 months ago
1041 Posts
#13081277 Vesta~ wrote:

Hmmm, a ritual sacrifice gone wrong, could be the source for an empowerment. Any other ideas if DEMON could be involved in his origin?



If you mean, as an alternative to the Nama-based origin, sacrifice isn't the only ritual DEMON undertakes. One official villain, named Riptide, was a young runaway girl before a member of DEMON found her and turned her over to his Morbane. The Morbane attempted a magic experiment to bind the girl to a water elemental, hoping to create a strong but mentally pliable minion. But Riptide's crazed fear at what was done to her was now backed with elemental powers, enabling her to force her way to freedom.

The supervillain now called Morningstar was the result of a tactic that DEMON often uses since it became estranged from the rulers of Hell: forcing a summoned demon to temporarily occupy the human body of a DEMON Brother, giving the Brother a measure of demonic power but with the human personality in control. For unknown reasons, Morningstar's possession proved permanent. He fought DEMON's enemies for some time, under enchantment to ensure his loyalty, until a battle with magical heroes severed the control spell and returned his free will. Morningstar left DEMON to become an independent supervillain. (Both villains are detailed in CV Vol. 3.)

Another villain in the service of DEMON, Professor Samedi, was a minor DEMON member, and lackluster musician, before his Morbane had him try to play an enchanted fiddle the Morbane had acquired. Samedi found he could cast several potent spells with the fiddle's music, but it changed him physically, making him look almost skeletally gaunt; and changed his personality, to more actively, confidently malevolent. So there's precedent for a Morbane to have one of his disposable minions "test drive" a magic item. Perhaps a given item would change the wielder's personality in a more positive way. (Prof. Samedi is detailed in DEMON: Servants Of Darkness.)
#13082043 Feb 21, 2017 at 09:12 PM
105 Posts
#13081540 Lord Liaden wrote:

#13081277 Vesta~ wrote:

Hmmm, a ritual sacrifice gone wrong, could be the source for an empowerment. Any other ideas if DEMON could be involved in his origin?



If you mean, as an alternative to the Nama-based origin, sacrifice isn't the only ritual DEMON undertakes. One official villain, named Riptide, was a young runaway girl before a member of DEMON found her and turned her over to his Morbane. The Morbane attempted a magic experiment to bind the girl to a water elemental, hoping to create a strong but mentally pliable minion. But Riptide's crazed fear at what was done to her was now backed with elemental powers, enabling her to force her way to freedom.

The supervillain now called Morningstar was the result of a tactic that DEMON often uses since it became estranged from the rulers of Hell: forcing a summoned demon to temporarily occupy the human body of a DEMON Brother, giving the Brother a measure of demonic power but with the human personality in control. For unknown reasons, Morningstar's possession proved permanent. He fought DEMON's enemies for some time, under enchantment to ensure his loyalty, until a battle with magical heroes severed the control spell and returned his free will. Morningstar left DEMON to become an independent supervillain. (Both villains are detailed in CV Vol. 3.)

Another villain in the service of DEMON, Professor Samedi, was a minor DEMON member, and lackluster musician, before his Morbane had him try to play an enchanted fiddle the Morbane had acquired. Samedi found he could cast several potent spells with the fiddle's music, but it changed him physically, making him look almost skeletally gaunt; and changed his personality, to more actively, confidently malevolent. So there's precedent for a Morbane to have one of his disposable minions "test drive" a magic item. Perhaps a given item would change the wielder's personality in a more positive way. (Prof. Samedi is detailed in DEMON: Servants Of Darkness.)


So I see-I may go the Nama or DEMON route, I do certainly know that he'll encounter a Morgan's and perhaps a supervillain under the employ of perhaps the PAB due to his efforts to disrupt conflicts caused in the region and stem the flow of crime in his homeland.

I wonder, due to his powers making him a kind of conduit or filter for the Blood Tide, any ideas regarding his limits and if Nama (who is his most likely patron) would give him some kind of guidance or if he would be more amused seeing Pride ride without training wheels so to speak?

#13082069 Feb 21, 2017 at 09:33 PM · Edited 3 months ago
1041 Posts
Judging by Nama's past history -- mostly hands-off in VIPER's operations, letting Viperia devastate the countryside during her youth in the ancient past, allowing the six warlords gifted with his Swords to quarrel unto death -- the great serpent doesn't exactly micro-manage his projects. I get the impression he doesn't have a long attention span. But if it would be more fun for you to play, he might stay interested enough in Pride to offer advice for a while. As V:COTS notes on p. 6, "Nama also had a soft spot for heroes, a self-important breed whose efforts provided him with endless hours of amusement. Sometimes the great serpent used his sorcery to aid human champions (particularly against creatures like Sharna-Gorak, who were as much of a threat to him as he was to humanity). He was especially revered for his gift of prophecy, and many heroes performed great deeds only because Nama directed them to the time and place where they were needed."

IMO Pride can become pretty much as powerful as you want him to become; eventually perhaps as mighty as Viperia, Nama's own child. If a being isn't strong enough to threaten him directly, I doubt Nama would be concerned. Given their similarities, it would be poetic justice if Pride at least became a match for Joseph Otanga.
#13082184 Feb 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
105 Posts
#13082069 Lord Liaden wrote:

Judging by Nama's past history -- mostly hands-off in VIPER's operations, letting Viperia devastate the countryside during her youth in the ancient past, allowing the six warlords gifted with his Swords to quarrel unto death -- the great serpent doesn't exactly micro-manage his projects. I get the impression he doesn't have a long attention span. But if it would be more fun for you to play, he might stay interested enough in Pride to offer advice for a while. As V:COTS notes on p. 6, "Nama also had a soft spot for heroes, a self-important breed whose efforts provided him with endless hours of amusement. Sometimes the great serpent used his sorcery to aid human champions (particularly against creatures like Sharna-Gorak, who were as much of a threat to him as he was to humanity). He was especially revered for his gift of prophecy, and many heroes performed great deeds only because Nama directed them to the time and place where they were needed."

IMO Pride can become pretty much as powerful as you want him to become; eventually perhaps as mighty as Viperia, Nama's own child. If a being isn't strong enough to threaten him directly, I doubt Nama would be concerned. Given their similarities, it would be poetic justice if Pride at least became a match for Joseph Otanga.



I agree. And I see, it seems like he is the type of dirty of being to bestow something on a subject and move off to whatever seems more amusing st the time, but I'll keep that in mind.

I also wonder if it will cause some turmoil if other heroes figure out he is empowered via a deity that isn't exactly the greatest-though that's if heroes know of Nama's existence and such.

It would be quite fitting for Pride to be a match for Otanga, at the very least in terms of versatility and such. Anything you can offer in the way of your thoughts on how being connected to the Blood Tide via a magic boon could affect his behavior or personality?