Notify Message
Forums
#5892631 Apr 02, 2012 at 01:00 AM · Edited over 5 years ago
Moderator
725 Posts
This little COMPENDIUM of information is not to restrict you or your characters, but an attempt to try and preserve what makes The Mystic World so interesting, it’s y’know. Mysticalness and secrets.

This can definitely help with mystical characters, whilst also letting you know what's generally known about other things.

Whilst there is a lot of magical goings on in Champions, lorewise, character wise and through the MMO itself, the actual “Mystic World” is something that is very secretive, and not widely known about even amongst heroes. This is something of a guide to help you determine what various factions in the game and in your roleplay might/should or might not know about certain things. This is not a strict set of rules, due to character interaction and progress it’s possible for people to learn things they otherwise may not have.

So, what do I mean by The Mystic World? This is not really a blanket term for magical goings on, or even people, it is a term that more refers to the organisations and the structure of Earth’s mystics, how they operate and what they do. For instances, the Mystic World includes, DEMON, The Circle Of The Scarlet Moon, The Trismegistus Council, The Archmage, the structure of dimensions, mystical geography, and many other things.

The Mystic World is, as I said, very secretive, The Trismegistus Council, and The Circle Of The Scarlet Moon are in many ways magical Illuminati, they sit behind the scenes, often in positions of power, working towards their own goals. They are very interested in keeping The Mystic World as best kept a secret as they can, there’s even a group of villains trying to bring about a Dark Renaissance that would make the Mystic World public.

Adding in these quotes for THE NON BELIEVERS

"Since 1938, magic has been more powerful and manipulable than at any time in the past several centuries. But that’s not to say it’s commonplace,or widely acknowledged. In fact, just the opposite is true: the vast majority of humanity scoffs at magic, considering it nothing more than superstitious nonsense. Even though mystic supervillains of tremendous power, such as Takofanes the Undying Lord, periodically threaten Earth, somehow their abilities end up conveniently forgotten or explained away as something besides sorcery. Such, perhaps, is the nature of magic.

"The Mystic World usually takes pains to conceal its existence and scope from the rest of the world according to the same unspoken laws.Those who can cast spells and work sorcery deem it fitting that their powers should be hidden from the common ruck of humanity, and conduct themselves appropriately in most circumstances. Thus, even today, describing the Mystic World remains a difficult task, fraught with much guesswork."


So let’s start with the Council.

The Trismegistus Council

The Trismegistus Council are essentially the “good guys”, the organisation exists to protect the world against supernatural evil, as well as make an effort to contain The Circle Of The Scarlet Moon and to fight other occult groups and threats and have been fighting this battle in a long sort of cold war. A person can only become a member after a fairly rigorous screening process, where it is determined whether they are really devoted to protecting the world and fighting evil.

However, despite this the group is still very secretive, particularly with its knowledge. There are lots of rivalries between members, due to differences in knowledge, magic and talent. The organisation does work with mystic heroes, or heroes combatting mystics if they need to, but they often disclose little information unless it is of vital importance, or they believe the hero to have the dedication and knowledge to match their power. The Council generally considers heroes to me amateurs, and show offs.

What everyone else knows.
The only people who are allowed to find the Council are those that the Council wants to be found by. They have spent two hundred years hiding themselves, and outside of The Mystic World they are little more than a whisper or a name, even amongst world wide organisations such as UNTIL. Heroes may just be aware of “good mages” helping on occasions.

Some may have actually been approached about helping with certain events, but even in these cases. The Council discloses very little information.

What Mages Know
Mages, mystics or other people who are privy to The Mystic World may be far more aware of The Trismegistus Council. They may only be aware of their existence, they may only have heard rumours or they may even be members themselves. The Council still maintains a fairly low profile even within the communities of magic users.


The Circle Of The Scarlet Moon

If The Trismegistus Council are the good guys in The Mystic World, then The Scarlet Moon are definitely the resident bad guys. Having existed for 2 centuries, the Scarlet Moon are every bit the Councils counterparts, they practice diabolic magics, hatch schemes and work towards gaining power.

Just like the Council they maintain a high level of secrecy, however they have also insinuated themselves into society, many of them in positions of political and social power. The organisations itself have accumulated much in the way of such power, as well as magical knowledge and acumen over the course of its activity. However, because of this The Circle has not entirely succeeded in remaining concealed.

Knowledge about actual membership is little to none, particularly when it comes to leaders. Covens are grouped into lodges which are led by an Archdruid, their identities are kept well secret, a mage, hero or member of The Council might possibly learn of the identities of persons involved in The Circle, through prolonged investigation. But it’s unlikely anyone other than a mage or The Council would have the interest to fully pursue these chains of investigation. Particularly due to The Circle’s elite often being in seats of political and economic power.

What all the normal people know

Much like The Council, The Circle of The Scarlet Moon is entirely secretive, and acts beneath the radar of those outside of The Mystic World, or so they try to. Their wide ranging influence has gained them a little bit of attention, most people who have heard of them (not many) consider them a sort of conspiracy theory to be ignored. Those who actually believe their existence think they’re more of a satanic cult, certainly nothing close to the actual truth.

Heroes who encounter The Circle will obviously oppose them, as they are human sacrificing evil people.

What all da cool mages know

Like The Council, someone firmly embedded in The Mystic World is much more likely to know about The Circle. However, they again will not know the wide reaches of their power, but they will have a better idea of their goals. Many mages and magic users may simply think of them as “evil mages” and probably not realize just how powerful the occult dynasty really is.

Mages may be aware of some of the pacts members of The Circle make with demons and devils, however most of The Circles power actually comes from Faerie, from pre-Christian Pagan gods.

However, it is likely in all the mages best interests that The Circle stays just as secret as The Council, making it unlikely a mage would try to out them to the world. That would shatter the illusion that keeps The Mystic World out of the eyes of everyday life.

DEMON

If you had asked a mage or even a hero ten years ago about DEMON, they would have told you they were a satanic cult, who enlist the help of demons from The Descending Hierarchy in Hell. However, recently, DEMON’s true purpose has come into the light. DEMON serve the Kings Of Edom, even those that don’t know about The Kings, are aware that DEMON do something much worse than barter with archdemons.

The heroing community and The Mystic World are pretty much on the same page when it comes to DEMON. PRIMUS, and UNTIL both actively work against DEMON, seeking to find Demonhames and remove the cultists from cities. Due to several very high profile crimes and attacks on the world (The Demonflame, TWICE), DEMON has been on The Department of Defense’s Superhuman Survey as a “Top Ten Most Dangerous Organization” a ranking from which it has never fallen since 1981.

It is common knowledge that VIPER are openly aggressive towards DEMON, and in fact have openly aided heroes against them on occasions (Demonflame again!). UNTIL’s Project Hermes are also very much about dealing with DEMON

What Mages know

Mages will have a better perspective of things when it comes to DEMON, they will likely have a greater and more expansive knowledge of the powers that DEMON truly deal with. They may also be aware that The Descending Hierarchy has completely renounced helping DEMON after word got out about who they truly serve. And that the only demonic help that they can get nowadays is that which they can wrest through force or through old pacts that cannot be broken.

VIPER

What pretty much no one knows

VIPER is incredibly well known as a world wide terrorist organisation, however, very few people are aware that The Supreme Serpent actually serves an ancient snake deity called Nama. Very few members of VIPER outside of The Supreme Serpent and The Council Of Thirty know of Nama. The terrorist group does encourage the reverence of snakes, but it is not known that this is in any relation to a snake god

Serpent Mages are incredibly rare, and are amongst those few outside of VIPER’s leadership who know about Nama,

If you want to take Serpent Lantern as an in character thing, then go for it (I personally do not acknowledge aspects of it for my characters) however, even if a character has seen these things, it is unlikely they will know about Nama in detail, and will not know that VIPER actually serves Nama. Only that they have interest in these magical artifacts for unknown reasons. This goes for heroes and mages. VIPER’s real “leader” is probably the best kept secret in The Mystic World.

Occult Dynasties

It’s very difficult for anyone to learn anything about The Mystic World without hearing about some of the larger families of magical aristocracy, the most famous of these are The Sylvestri’s and The Vandaleurs, both of the leaders of these occult families are immortal. Their clans are rather inbred, their heritage allowing them easy access to magical training and talent.

Whilst magical aristocracy is not as prominent as it once was (Mostly due to the actions of the aforementioned two families), much of the worlds magical families originate from Western Europe and Britain (Britain for example has a high ratio of magical heroes)

It is not unreasonable to say non mages will have heard of some of these families, however mages will have a much more intimate knowledge of them.

The Devils Advocates and The Dark Renaissance

These are things that mages would know, and may have opinions on, however it is not impossible heroes may have heard of the team themselves.

The Devils Advocates are a group of mystical supervillains led by The Demonologist. Their agenda is one of bringing about The Dark Renaissance, where magic will supplant science as the prominent force in the world, and The Mystic World will no longer have to remain secret.

His reasoning is that, not only are magical threats out in the open (Such as Takofanes) but also that magic is just vastly superior, and deserves to be the ruling factor on Earth.

The group themselves actually command quite a lot of respect within the magical community, they have a larger amount of support than most would be willing to voice. The Demonologist, despite being a villain was actually one of the few who people considered worthy of becoming The Archmage.

UNTIL and Project Hermes

What Project Hermes Know

Not a lot, actually

Hermes is pretty much a reaction to the more overt aspects of the Mystic World, which are DEMON, The Crowns of Krim and Takofanes. And they have focused their efforts on these things since their appearances.

The actual project is mostly non combative, they analyze mystical threats where they can, gather information where they can and try to develop weapons to counteract them. They're mostly scholars who travel and try to gather tomes and such, the actual project contains no spellcasters, although they do receive aid from Dr’s. Black and White of UNITY on occasion, and have worked with mystical heroes such as Witchcraft and Dweomer.

Their knowledge of the Mystic World actual is likely very very thin, it stands to reason that anyone trying to keep the Mystic World secret (Most mages) will not be telling any branch of UNTIL a whole lot. And if they are, only what is absolutely necessary.

Dr. Black and Dr. White of UNITY

Dr. Black and Dr. White are mid level sorcerers who work with the superteam UNITY, they act as a source of occult advice and support. Both of them having studied the occult basically as a hobby before they had joined UNITY.

Whilst competent and capable mages, and definitely knowledgeable, the nature of their public persona's as part of a superteam, and Dr. Whites very open personality means it is unlikely they are entirely aware of the absolute secrecy that shrouds much of The Mystic World, or if they are, they are not sharing much of it with UNITY.

What PRIMUS know

PRETTY MUCH NOTHING. PRIMUS only has as much information has mystical foes they've fought. They have no dedicated team to deal with them. Any real interaction with paranormal things on their end are probably mostly dealing with the mercenary group known as The Wild Geese.

The Crowns of Krim

The Crowns of Krim is a group of villains, who all wear one of the magical artifacts known as (You guessed it) The Crowns of Krim, this group includes, Dark Seraph, Bloodstone, Eclipse, Phoenix, Force and Temblor.

What people know

The Iron Crown that Dark Seraph wears has been shown to command the other crowns, and using this he rules the other Crowns with an iron fist. They are in fact one of the most powerful occult groups in the world, each of them wielding considerable power and are recognized as very real threat to the world's safety. Dark Seraph’s goals are one of world domination. The regular world of people and heroes is rather afraid of the Crowns

There is no real secrecy surrounding the group, they have acted very publicly on various occasions.

What mages might further know

Mages might have a little more knowledge regarding the crowns and the threat they face. The members of the group occasionally use code words in a Turakian tongue (which some mages could possibly have some ability to recognize or in rare occurrences understand to some degree).

Despite the threat people believe they represent, The Mystic World doesn't hold The Crowns of Krim in much regard, they don't have real power, they're just exploiting artefact's. None of them hold any worthwhile magical power of their own, so The Mystic World sees them with scorn and disdain.

That about wraps up the main factions that relate to The Mystic World, but, there are two other important individuals related to The Mystic World

The Archmage

What normal people know

The Archmage is something that people in the regular world would be very unlikely to know about, due to the secretive nature of The Mystic World.

What heroes MIGHT know and Mages definitely do know

The Archmage is an office, the most powerful mage in the world. An Archmage must possess gifts of power from all 4 of the quaternion realms (Elysium, Babylon, Faerie and Netherworld). At each Archmage’s death, the search goes on to find the next. His successor is then granted his extreme power no matter where they are in the Multiverse.

The current Archmage is the Magnum Mage, Robert Caliburn. Though few would have heard of Caliburn if they were not from Vibora Bay or part of The Mystic World

What Mages know

The Mystic World is very aware of The Archmage, and prior to Caliburn’s succession there was much debate about who would become Archmage. The Demonologist, Witchcraft, Rashindar, Dweomer were all considered, and are all well known within the Mystic World.

The Archmages actual power allows them to cast spells effortlessly and can effortlessly call upon the powers of any of the imaginal realms. The Archmage is also the only person in the world who can cast the Quaternion Banishment spell. The Archmage can not be beholden to any specific god, and must remain neutral between the four realms.

There is a worry that Takofanes The Undying could become the next Archmage, or that he was once an Archmage and has returned to reclaim his power.

Takofanes The Undying

Takofanes dates back from The Turakian age, so long ago that there is no real information about him. The Turakian age is so far in the past that no human has any actual knowledge of, short of some rare pieces of archeology. No one knows his real name. DON'T USE HIS REAL NAME YOU DON'T KNOW IT AARGH

What everyone knows

Takofanes is one big badass, he is the most powerful wielder of magic in the world today. And when he walks into town, superheroes have no choice but to mobilize because otherwise there is going to be some serious problems.

Pretty much everyone is absolutely terrified of Takofanes because he is unbelievably powerful and will ruin everyones shit.

What Mages might now further

Takofanes wields two powerful magical artifacts, The Sceptre of The Undying King (which was forged back in the Turakian age NO ONE KNOWS THIS), and The Dragon Crown, forged by Krim.

There is a great and justified fear that The Dragon Crown can control The Crowns of Krim in the same way that the Iron Crown can command the others. There have been instances that support this fear, and should Takofanes ever do this, he would be an even greater threat than he already is.


So yeah, there you go. These are pretty much the swingers and shakers in The Mystic World world, and what your characters would know about them (I've left a lot of details out because really, even less people know anything about the origins of such organizations or characters)

I might be making a second post to this, dealing with the availability of knowledge in regards to actual magic and the champions cosmology.
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin
#5893802 Apr 02, 2012 at 07:18 AM
37 Posts
This is a great post, especially for someone like me who is playing a magic-centric character, but has little to no knowledge of Champions canon. I'd read the Primus Database entry on The Multiverse, but that's more of a roadmap for mages than a description of overall familiarity.

I'm aware, based on previous conversations, that most people simply view "magic" as manifestations of superpowers or super-science, wrapped in the trappings of legend or superstition for dramatic purposes (or the wielder's misunderstanding). But this brings it a little more into focus: members of the mystic world probably encourage that world view.

That said, I'd be very interested in seeing a follow-up post.


“All fantasy fiction is essentially about the concept of power; great fantasy fiction is about people who find it at great cost or lose it tragically; mediocre fantasy fiction is about people who have it and never lose it but simply wield it.” — Stephen King
#5893892 Apr 02, 2012 at 07:40 AM · Edited 6 years ago
PRIMUS Mod
1658 Posts
A couple of brief excerpts:

From Champions Universe, 6th edition, p. 64
"Since 1938, magic has been more powerful and manipulable than at any time in the past several centuries. But that’s not to say it’s commonplace,or widely acknowledged. In fact, just the opposite is true: the vast majority of humanity scoffs at magic, considering it nothing more than superstitious nonsense. Even though mystic supervillains of tremendous power, such as Takofanes the Undying Lord, periodically threaten Earth, somehow their abilities end up conveniently forgotten or explained away as something besides sorcery. Such, perhaps, is the nature of magic.

"The Mystic World usually takes pains to conceal its existence and scope from the rest of the world according to the same unspoken laws.Those who can cast spells and work sorcery deem it fitting that their powers should be hidden from the common ruck of humanity, and conduct themselves appropriately in most circumstances. Thus, even today, describing the Mystic World remains a difficult task, fraught with much guesswork.

However, on p. 51, please note:

"...a sincere belief in the occult or magic does not, per se, prove the defendant is insane"
New sig to follow.
#5893903 Apr 02, 2012 at 07:43 AM
Moderator
725 Posts
#5893802 Darketower wrote:

This is a great post, especially for someone like me who is playing a magic-centric character, but has little to no knowledge of Champions canon. I'd read the Primus Database entry on The Multiverse, but that's more of a roadmap for mages than a description of overall familiarity.

I'm aware, based on previous conversations, that most people simply view "magic" as manifestations of superpowers or super-science, wrapped in the trappings of legend or superstition for dramatic purposes (or the wielder's misunderstanding). But this brings it a little more into focus: members of the mystic world probably encourage that world view.

That said, I'd be very interested in seeing a follow-up post.



That is definitely a good page on PDB

And yeah, for instance, Defender doesn't really believe in magic, he thinks that Witchcraft is a mutant of some kind (as far as I remember anyway.), which would assumingly mean he has very little knowledge of the Mystic World, despite the fact he is very close to Witchcraft who is absolutely embedded in it.

I think I will do a follow up post, about what's known about the cosmology and changes in the magical geography of the world. SOON.
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin
#5896177 Apr 02, 2012 at 02:59 PM
204 Posts
Thank you for this!

This clears up what I needed to know before I pushed on with whatever plot I had, and now I must rearrange things to make more sense in lore.
#5911749 Apr 05, 2012 at 08:30 AM
37 Posts
#5893903 darkblade98 wrote:

I think I will do a follow up post, about what's known about the cosmology and changes in the magical geography of the world. SOON.



I definitely look forward to it. As a side note, you inspired me to hop over to Amazon and pick up "The Mystic World." My copy should arrive today, and I intend to pore over it over the next few days. Hopefully it will refine certain aspects of Eldritch. However, he also exists in something of a "safe zone," since his use of both magic and technology makes it easier to explain away what he does.

The trickier part will be to play the subject of magic a little closer to the chest, especially when many players run with the base assumption that PRIMUS, UNTIL, Project Hermes, and others are all intimately informed about the secret workings and goings-on of the magic world (indeed, the in-game missions seem to lend themselves to this mindset).


“All fantasy fiction is essentially about the concept of power; great fantasy fiction is about people who find it at great cost or lose it tragically; mediocre fantasy fiction is about people who have it and never lose it but simply wield it.” — Stephen King
#5911799 Apr 05, 2012 at 08:39 AM
Moderator
725 Posts
#5911749 Darketower wrote:

#5893903 darkblade98 wrote:

I think I will do a follow up post, about what's known about the cosmology and changes in the magical geography of the world. SOON.



I definitely look forward to it. As a side note, you inspired me to hop over to Amazon and pick up "The Mystic World." My copy should arrive today, and I intend to pore over it over the next few days. Hopefully it will refine certain aspects of Eldritch. However, he also exists in something of a "safe zone," since his use of both magic and technology makes it easier to explain away what he does.

The trickier part will be to play the subject of magic a little closer to the chest, especially when many players run with the base assumption that PRIMUS, UNTIL, Project Hermes, and others are all intimately informed about the secret workings and goings-on of the magic world (indeed, the in-game missions seem to lend themselves to this mindset).


It's a very good source book! Most of the info in here is drawn from there, Champions Universe and the Villains volumes.

Yeah, that's kinda what drove me to make this thread. I don't think in game really makes it seem like they know a whole lot, other than stuff with DEMON. But players definitely tend to take that mindset anyways. Particularly where the game is a little vague.

I am a slacker but the next post wiiill come. I'll either edit the initial post or one of my earlier posts for ease of reading/finding the info.
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin
#5916930 Apr 06, 2012 at 06:54 AM
342 Posts
#5911749 Darketower wrote:

The trickier part will be to play the subject of magic a little closer to the chest, especially when many players run with the base assumption that PRIMUS, UNTIL, Project Hermes, and others are all intimately informed about the secret workings and goings-on of the magic world (indeed, the in-game missions seem to lend themselves to this mindset).



I'm afraid the cat is out of the bag for that one. As I mentioned, too many players have been throwing magic around willy-nilly that it's impossible for any of my characters to not know that magic exists.

That said, the workings of the Council and the Circle need not be made know. As are some of the inner circles of many occult-based organisations.
Find me in game! Look for handle: @HidingCat

Primus Database User Page
#5917377 Apr 06, 2012 at 08:43 AM
1240 Posts
Magic and the Mystic World are pretty complex topics that each individual character will react to differently. Remember that just because your character has met a 'wizard' or seen magic in action doesn't necessarily mean they are now 'in-the-know' when it comes to the mystical universe. Here are a few examples using my characters:

Duke (aka Bat Country) occasionally chills out at vampire bars and has witnessed the supernatural and magic first hand. He obviously accepts these things are part of normal life and may even see them as mundane. However, this gives him no awareness or special knowledge of other dimensions or the afterlife, nor does he understand where magic comes from or how it works.

He's a good example of a character who is actively part of the Mystic World but is largely ignorant about it.

Nightwave, a long time skeptic and nonbeliever, refused to accept that magic existed despite regularly encountering it and in fact having a magic-using adopted kid. She simply convinced herself it was some other form of psionics or an unknown power source that people were calling 'magic'. When she began encountering angels and demons directly, she began fearing that she'd been completely wrong about religion and had an emotional breakdown. The idea that these things come from 'imaginal realms' never even crossed her mind. It took three different mages basically giving her "The Talk" to figure out the basics of how the universe works. Although names like "Scarlet Moon" have been dropped around her, she still doesn't know the full scope of the organization.

I consider Night to be a very experienced A-list hero, yet her knowledge of the Mystic World is shallow at best.

On the other hand, you have characters like Killer B who think magic is a bunch of baloney. If hes encountered a magic-user, he'd likely assume they were a mutant or a psychic or just a general 'freak'.
@Realsorceror - CORP Community Organizer
Rules Links - CORP Code of Conduct - Champions RP Rules - Channel Invites Thread - Fun Links - CORP Podcast - Character Theme Songs - Who would play your Champion? - Contest of Champions - My Characters - Nightwave - Devil Ray - Changelin - Racer Red - Event Threads - Realsorceror (Old), Realsorceror (New) - Sergio Kohler for mayor! - Press Conference
#5917481 Apr 06, 2012 at 09:02 AM
Moderator
725 Posts
#5916930 Astraea Ling wrote:

#5911749 Darketower wrote:

The trickier part will be to play the subject of magic a little closer to the chest, especially when many players run with the base assumption that PRIMUS, UNTIL, Project Hermes, and others are all intimately informed about the secret workings and goings-on of the magic world (indeed, the in-game missions seem to lend themselves to this mindset).



I'm afraid the cat is out of the bag for that one. As I mentioned, too many players have been throwing magic around willy-nilly that it's impossible for any of my characters to not know that magic exists.

That said, the workings of the Council and the Circle need not be made know. As are some of the inner circles of many occult-based organisations.


Whilst that's true, magic is essentially a well known "possibility". It's existence is known to be believed, and you can see lots of people in the hero community who claim to be magic users. But the truth behind this is something that is likely to be widely disputed and not believed by many. (As I said before, Defender doesn't believe in magic)

However like you said, and as Reals makes a good point of! Knowledge of magic users and even believing in magic doesn't put you in a position to know about the "Mystic World" in it's intricacies.
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin
#5918050 Apr 06, 2012 at 11:09 AM · Edited 6 years ago
429 Posts
I must add that whoever runs the stronghold is PRETTY FUCKING SAVVY. If you check the sourcebook by the same name. Most of the prison is run on power dampeners which give the light a strange bluish tint and pretty much negate all superpowers... except magic. Magic powered individuals are held in their own wing of the prison. Each cell is warded with a pile of sigils and other magic scribblings. They actually actively seek out known mystic heroes, such as witchcraft, and ask them to come in, check the wards, and upgrade/lay them as needed. The staff pretty much views the magic wing as the weak point and the most likely mode of failure.

If you have a magically inclined hero of some renown there's a good chance you were asked to visit the stronghold and optimize magical security there at some point. They've apparently done a rather well job at it, since the few times there were a stronghold breakout all instances did not propogate from the magical wing. Grond escaped because a disgruntled guard was disgruntled and just set the beast loose. There was a breakout before that where a flu had whipped through most of the staff and a storm managed to knockout power to the suppressors and emergency power did not come up properly causing a breakout with a tired understaffed crew on hand. Then you have the Menton breakout where he managed to mind control a lot of the staff.

Ice-heart is a 400 year old witch. She actually has seen magic before and after, noticed that mutants and super science was on the rise at the same time and put two and two together. She does not try to debate it however because she has enough trouble convincing people she isn't just some cryokinetic. She view CRP as a bunch of people who have been around the Rodeo and tends be open on information requests on channel, much like a know it all info-geek. I have actually had her mention several times, that people generally don't take magic seriously. She won't even try to use magically procured evidence in court.

Arcane Arrow is the 12th in a line of heroes who mix athletic skill with magic. Her talent is VERY anemic, blood is stretched thin. She makes up for it by leaning on relics and magic trinkets more, her mask is even largely tech bought offa friend who knows a friend. Despite all that, her line has managed to be embroiled in the cloak and dagger way back when they were pulp-style warriors. She's still called upon by mysterious mystics to go invade some house, plant some bugs, and steal a material link to help further the shadow war in favor of the Council. Gives her some council contacts to push, but it's always hazy on if she'll get solid support or not, only if the council deems whatever she's rambling about to be a threat to their cause. Which is a wonderful sort of contact for a gm, because it means it's a contact that moves with the speed and power of plot ;)

It is of interest to note that Defender does NOT believe in magic. Yes, his girlfriend is witchcraft, he's convinced he can explain her powers as something else, like a mutant with subconscious blocks on her power.
#5919386 Apr 06, 2012 at 05:02 PM
424 Posts
So, basically...defender is tappin' that, and still doesn't believe she's magic.

That dude is a knucklehead. X3
#6024201 Apr 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
429 Posts
And now my characters weigh on on these various topics on the board we have:

Ice-Heart: Self-proclaimed witch of the north winds, Lenora Carver wields a frosty magical power. She is a reformed villain and has been a hero for the past several decades. She has seen both sides of the fence and keeps her ear to the ground magically she is very well studied in all things magic, technologically she has a laptop, keeps a blog, and angry birds on her cellphone. That's it. It took her a while to get the hang of her CRP communicator, now leaves it on while she works at her lab since the banter amuses her.

Arcane Arrow: Legacy hero and the 12th incarnation of a long line of heroes that combine stealth, guile, phsyical prowess, a little bit of magic, and an array of enchanted gear to dish out some two-fisted justice with a side order of arrowy doom. She certainly is not as talented as Lenora, she is more of a generalist. Several iterations back the Arcane Arrows got involved with the Trismegistus Council as someone they go to for covert ops work. They are able, they are not utterly crutched to magic yet aware of it enough to deal with it, and they can sneak around in places pretty darnw well. So Arcane Arrow is called on occasion to break into some person's house, place survallience bugs and retrieve a material link for ritual use. Yes, she's called on to perform supernatural panty raids to further the council in the whole shadow war. She isn't given a lot of details on precisely what she is doing but she knwos better then to say no. The reason she doesn't say no is the council has delivered as an expert contact network that gives her information when she needs it and perhaps even resources or assistance. Of course since she's going to them with a variety of weird magic stuff going on she's inadvertently keeping them informed on possible turbluance in the magic world and assisting their goals. The amount of aid they lend is essentially directly proportional to how well it furthers their goals. Outside of that she doesn't have a lot of direct knowledge, but she has the journals of every previous Arcane Arrow to fall back on.

Overcharge: Sally Teller was a writer for the Millennium City Guardian. She had focused on conspiracy theory stuff and had done a whole lot of digging on companies like ACI and ARGENT. Unfortunately for her she become too much of a nuisance to ARGENT and was dissappeared. The circumstances surrounding that caused her to become a guinea pig for human testing and she ended up accidentally endowed with electrical powers but very minor control. Sally has no real knowledge of magic. She is however an avid conspiracy theorist and she is WELL versed in a variety of sueprheroes and supervillains. Her conspiracy theories however wind out of control often and it is not uncommon for her to be linking some random occurance to moon bugs or something silly.

Blue Impulse: Blue is the child of heroes Betty Barrage and Blue Rush. Blue Impulse is a speedster with some force manipulation powers. He isn't well versed in conspiracy, he knows a fair amount about the metahuman world, he doesn't know anything about magic. The guy has literally been everywhere thanks to his superspeeding and restless spirit.

VIPER:

Ice-Heart: "The United States VIPER branches are decideably anti-magic. Ever since their little fight against DEMON they've loathed the stuff. They are not ignorant however. If you are a mage and you make enough of a nuisance of yourself to them you will get a visit from one of their specialized withchunters. Their witch hunters are fearsome opponents who wield enough knowledge of magic and how to counteract it to be highly dangerous. As a general rule of thumb if you have a shtick be it magic or technology or otherwise, VIPER has a countermeasure for it. I've heard general rumors of VIPER cells in africa that are run like cults, but I can not offer further insight on the dealings in that region."

Arcane Arrow: "As far as I know, VIPER doesn't do magic, I hear they have special countermeasures for magi. Those oversized pulson rifles are more then enough countermeasure for me. I don't play around when I see the snake, those guys play for keeps and they fight dirty."

Overcharge: "VIPER has magic? As far as I know that is not their MO, but one can not rule out the possibility of some sort of super Mage pulling the strings, much more of a viable theory then it being run by a super AI, at least to me. They are everywhere and have their hands in just about every pie though. And I don't even know a 10th of that organization. I don't think anyone does. They are scary, they control a heck of a lot more then they let on, mark my words."

Blue Impulse: "Magic snakes? Yeesh, as if their high tech toys weren't bad enough. One time I interrupt a hiest of theirs a guy whipped out a freaking acid thrower. And ACID THROWER. Turned a car into a puddle, damn near turned me into one too. I mean I can dodge single shots but he saturated the whole area with corrossive fun. Then his tank breached, that got messy. The VIPER kind of took care of themselves. Man, the collateral damage was huge, the law officers were giving me the stink eye that day."

DEMON

Ice-Heart: "Bad. News. They have power, they have infrastructure. It is fortunate they outted and hamstringed themselves with the demonflame incident. Also fortunately that they made an enemy of the snakes. Far better for my enemeis to be fighting each other then I. They are serving the Kings of Edom, though I'm quite sure the lower ranked members do not know what they are getting into. If half the rumors I hear about DEMON are true then I feel there is quite a significant reason to fear them and destroy them wherever you see them. Let me put it this way: DEMON does things that other malevolent magi find reprehensible. They are that bad. Crush them wherever you find them they threaten reality itself."

Arcane Arrow: "They play with fire, actually no, fire is a beneficial thing in a lot of situations that will hurt you when you misuse it. These guys, they are playing with radioactive waste."

Overcharge: "I may not know the full scope of what they were doing. But let me tell you something, when VIPER gets its act together and forms up under its banner in a unified fashion and works alonngside HEROES to take you down. You did something horrible on a monumental level, something like tried to unmake all of reality or some madness. Still, they are creepy mages, so be careful when dealing with them. There's no telling what they might be able to do, such as turning you into frogs, or mutant frogs, or stone frogs or something..."

Blue Impulse: "The looks I get from a seasoned mage when I ask them about DEMON tells me they are a very bad thing. I suppose they are if they got the snakes at their throats."

Trismegistus Council

Ice-Heart: "Well, if you know the name your feet are wet. They are the good guys in some massive shadow war really. Stay out of their way. I do not know them intimiately but I know enough to know that they are not afraid to break a few eggs to make an omelete, and they tend to view heroes as buffoons. Those two facts combined should be incentive enough to steel clear of their dealings. IF they do involve you in their dealings, do be civil and don't do anything to make them irritated. They are a terrible enemy to make."

Arcane Arrow: "I don't believe I am in a position to speak much of them. I will say this, they are acting for your best interests. IF they do something questionable there's a good reason."

Overcharge: "They are dug in real good. I have dug at all sorts of conspiracy. I don't know much about this council. Magic types who seem to know anything about them seem to think they are good guys. I don't know though."

Blue Impulse: "Who? That name sounds rather magical..."

Circle of the Scarlet Moon

Ice-Heart: "Simply put, magic mafia. Elaborately put, they are a band of malevolent magi who have insinuated themselves into every facet of society and work to manipulate it to further their own goals and turn a profit. Unlike DEMON they have no aspirations of world destruction or alteration beyond making their own lives more comfortable for as much as I can divine. That said few know much about them. They actually operate in such a fashion that you could not get much out of many members even if you tried to rip the knowledge forcefully from their head. Best you not ask why I know that. Normally I would not suggest about being open about them, they tend to try to kill people who speak too much except I already ratted about them a few decades back and they've been after my neck ever since. They are quite good at that let me tell you, fortunately I've been better, so far. Unless something gives though they will likely be the end of me. If you get involved with them be very wary. They play very dirty, they have friends in high places. Expect social attacks as well as magical. They are not to be trifled with lightly. On the plus side, they like to maintain a status quo so long as it is profitable, so they tend to work against more disruptive threats in their sphere of influence."

Arcane Arrow: "Scary bastards. Scarier then DEMON. DEMON has no legitimacy whatsoever. These guys are wolves in sheeps clothing. And the herds all around you. If you end up getting involved in the circle's affairs have an iron clad secret identity. They will come after you. And the attack might be from angles you don't expect to defend against, like Legal. They are slippery as hell too when it comes to making any charges stick to one of their members. Tried bringing down one of their more pathetic research type magi. Guy was trying to remove political rivals using voodoo dolls. Court didn't buy any of it. Guy walked and I was made to look like a fool bringing up crazy charges on an upstanding citizen. Fortunately I don't feel bad when I end up using that guy as a punching bag when I beat leads out of him. Hopefully the circle doesn't catch on to me doing that and silence him..."

Overcharge: "Malevolent Magic masterminding masterful mechaniations? Damn right they exist. And I want to get to the bottom of it... just after I extract myself from the other messes I've gotten myself into. I do believe they are behind the 9/11 attacks. It all makes sense really, they cause all that death and use it to fuel a massive blood sacrifice for some fell ritual. Magic works like that right? you kill a lot of things and get power right?"

Blue Impulse: "With a name like that I don't think they are the prance and frolic in the forest new age magic type wizards. Just saying."

Takofanes

Ice-Heart: "Who would think that the greatest evil in North America was sealed away in Oklahoma, waiting for a drilling operation to uncover him. He is ancient. He is powerful. Think about this: Magic has bee anemic for ages. As long as most can remember or recall in history. Most magi that exist are scrambling to get used to the sudden influx of magical power that started around 1940. This thing was from a time when magic was powerful. Just look at the way he wields it. He has a mastery none of us can comprehend. He is decades if not centuries beyond our comprehension of the art, we have much catching up to do to get on his level. Quite fascinating to try to analyze some of his magic actually. There are rumors that his crown is connected to the Crowns of Krim. That scepter he has seems to be important I am not sure the specifics of it. The thing I find interesting is he does not seem to mesh well with what some would call sacred power. He has wielded just about every style of spell except that. If you dig deeper into his motions there's some evidence that seems to suggest he avoids sacred ground as well. I've yet to fully test that hypothesis but I suspect there's a correlation."

Arcane Arrow: "I hate blood moons. You know what's worse then a zombie? A brick zombie. I had to face one of those. I don't do well against bricks. On the plus side I don't have to use non-lethal enchanted arrows on zombies. Saves me a lot of post-combat work of preparing a bunch of magic arrows. The sheer volume of those things though, yeesh I go through arrows like candy. That THING is ridiculously powerful. I don't have a clue what it is outside of scary and messy."

Overcharge: "Odious Oklahoma Overlord of Odiferous Offenses. Electricity and zombies don't mix too well. Living things spaz out when you zap them, not zombies. Everytime it gets that time of the month I organize the local apartments into a defense plan, just in case those zombies get too close. Need to minimize casualties. Though why does he do this? I think he's testing out defenses, singling out the strongest and most powerful heroes which he will then 'bless' with his unholy unlife."

Blue Impulse: "I thought the reports of zombies in millennium city were greatly exaggerated. I was wrong. Oh god, the zombies. Oh god, that thing leading them. What the heck is his problem anyway. Took good to get off that seat?"

The Archmage:

Ice-Heart: "I was certain it would go to Witchcraft. All the signs were pointing to her. Yet, some scruffy man swoops in from the swamps of florida and takes it. Vibora, such an odd place, such an eccletic crossing of ley lines. While he is scruffy looking he is no slouch. From what I hear he uses a submachine gun that was blessed by Shiva, and a handgun that was blessed by an archangel. The one time I saw him I had to be told he was who he was after the fact. I don't astrally scan every single individual I see. I hope the world will not think less of us magicians if they see the Archmage as a scruffy gentleman who smells vaguely of a barroom."

Arcane Arrow: "We got a got an Archmage. That's supposed to be good right? From what I understand the office has been empty for a while. Yet any of my seasoned mage contacts seem to get all twitchy when you talk about it and, apparently if you say Archmage in a room full of enough old wizards they'll breakdown into an argument about the demonologist and Dweomer and witchraft and caliburn. I've actually seen it happen."

Overcharge: "The Archmage, never imagined wizards looking like that. He kind of looks like a vietnam war vet who's too young to be a vietnam war vet."

Blue Impulse: "Visited VIbora bay once. Filled with mystics and mystic wannabes. The wannabes all gather up in various faux magic shops and act all goth. The real mystics sometimes look goth, sometimes don't. They all have this attitude of 'you normals can't comprehend the stuff we deal with, begone'. I saw a guy who matched that description, he had a big pet lizard or something. He had that attitude down though. I bet one of these days he's going to blow off a hero and they'll treat him like a villain and it'll blow up in his face."

Crowns of Krim:

Ice-Heart: "A villain group like that does not hurl itself at Takofanes like that. Leads credance to the rumors about him associated with the crowns. Now bear in mind they have used some Turakian iconography and such. That was an ancient age we know next to naught about. Look back on Takofanes who is obviously a being from another age (he certain is not something from plains indian cultures). One begins to see connections. Otherwise the crowns are all linked and give the wearers horrible malevolent powers. They are fools who found artifacts that they felt they could control but likely control them instead though. I've seen the same story unfold many times with many lesser items. The crowns are just especially pontent so everyone is aware of them. I do not envy them. If the crowns were not of questionable controllability I would love to get my hands on them for analysis. From an archeological standpoint they are quite interesting."

Arcane Arrow: "Any big contacts I have don't seem to impressed with them. So, I just view them as any other major villain group. A major villain group that's powerful."

Overcharge: "Those guys are creepy and powerful. But one has to wonder where they got the crowns from. The way I see it, there's a darker power at work here, someone behind the curtain pulling the strings. THis being obviously saw Takofanes a threat to his power base and manipulated these crowns to strike against it."

Blue Impulse: "Just another collection of overpowered villains. Doesn't matter if they are magical or not, they can kill you."

The Devil's Advocate:

Ice-Heart: "I would very much like some of the veil lifted on magic and for us to have greater legitimacy. I feel some of our problems in the mystic world stem from turning away help who we see unfit as 'mundane'. However, I do not agree with the methods of the Dark Renniasaunce, nor do I agree with the Devil's Advocate. He is far too heavy handed. This world will come to terms with magic slowly, gradually and at its own pace. We need not push it."

Aracane Arrow: "I've heard about him. Guy's got an ego complex I think. We have enough things rattling the status quo into some really ugly stuff. IHA has enough bees in their bonnets about thoes metahumans. What this guy wants would make the streets run with blood."

Overcharge: "He wants to what? Really now, would you mind sharing your sources?"

Blue Impulse: "Just what the world needs, another Kinematic deciding what's right and wrong for us. Maybe we should pit those two against each other and see who wins."
#6088206 May 07, 2012 at 01:45 PM · Edited 6 years ago
85 Posts
I think it's very possible for a character to not believe in magic while being an active superhero, even one who deals with magic occasionally.

For example, I play my character Nightchild as someone who doesn't believe in magic. She's a telekinetic, and her mom was a powerful telepath specializing in mind-control. So she's intimately familiar with the malleable nature of reality. Demonic invasions could easily be explained as a form of mass mind control, magical powers could be explained as really any type of super powers. In a world where tons of people can fly, are invulnerable, and can lift things with their minds, the only difference between mages and superheroes are the wardrobes really.

Furthermore, if you consider it, the idea that someone might have a belief bias to the origins of their powers, it makes sense some people would believe their powers are magical. Imagine if you had someone extremely religious, and didn't realize they were a mutant. They gain super powers at some point. Are they going to think this is due to some natural scientific biological process or are they going to immediately attribute it to their personal belief bias? Of course it's going to be the latter, they would think their powers came from god. It'd be the same with someone who's steeped in the occult.

Magic wards being a mage's weakness makes sense too in the same way that World of Darkness explained crucifixes being effective on (some) vampires. If the vampire believes that the crucifix has power, then as far as they're concerned it does, and will ward them off.
#6088570 May 07, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Member
259 Posts
fabulous post db, and especially useful since I am playing a mage character

I wasn't aware of the whole "mystic world being a secret" thing given how in-your-face it is throughout the game, so I've adjusted Nimue accordingly
#6370989 Jul 10, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Member
5 Posts
It mostly is in the lore books, to ordinary humans/average citizens but i feel you also have to take into account the fact that more pc's are generally playing magical characters in champs online than metahumans or science based toons in my experience. Within the confines of the champions online setting if you look at it like a p&p campaign it's been going on for 4 years now with magical beings and magic users all over the place. Also, on the note of magical beings they'll obviously have a different view of how the mystical world is set up and the intricasies of quanternon realms. All in all though a good post and informative for rpers that haven't read the books.
#6373390 Jul 10, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Member
2130 Posts
HATE YOU SO MUCH. (well not really but I did not want to rewrite an entire bio because the background is too awesome to not incorporate properly)

I do have a question though - Is it possible for someone that isn't the Archmage to call upon the energies of two of the imaginary realms (Elysium and the Netherworld specifically)?
#6373500 Jul 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Moderator
725 Posts
Yep, definitely! They could feasibly call upon 4, just without having the boon or gift from them (Or fall short of candidacy somewhere else). But either way, two, yup.
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin
#6373719 Jul 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Member
370 Posts
#6370989 acwrig2 wrote:

Within the confines of the champions online setting if you look at it like a p&p campaign it's been going on for 4 years now with magical beings and magic users all over the place.



Yes, but there have been prominent mystic heroes and villains for a while, the only difference now is there are more of them. While some people may alter their view based on the sheer number, chances are the majority still hold the view they've always held, that the 'mystic' superhumans are just mutants living with a delusion.

After all, for people in the Champs world they've flat out accepted the existance of superscience and mutations, they're a fact of life in their world. So if someone appears doing impossible things and claiming it's magic, most people are more likely to fit what they see in with their current worldview (they're doing superhuman things, they're probably a mutant, or a fraud using highly advanced technology) rather than radically adapting their worldview purely to assume someone is telling the truth about magic existing.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
- Groucho Marx
#6373743 Jul 10, 2012 at 02:25 PM
Moderator
725 Posts
#5893892 Thundrax wrote:

A couple of brief excerpts:

From Champions Universe, 6th edition, p. 64
"Since 1938, magic has been more powerful and manipulable than at any time in the past several centuries. But that’s not to say it’s commonplace,or widely acknowledged. In fact, just the opposite is true: the vast majority of humanity scoffs at magic, considering it nothing more than superstitious nonsense. Even though mystic supervillains of tremendous power, such as Takofanes the Undying Lord, periodically threaten Earth, somehow their abilities end up conveniently forgotten or explained away as something besides sorcery. Such, perhaps, is the nature of magic.

"The Mystic World usually takes pains to conceal its existence and scope from the rest of the world according to the same unspoken laws.Those who can cast spells and work sorcery deem it fitting that their powers should be hidden from the common ruck of humanity, and conduct themselves appropriately in most circumstances. Thus, even today, describing the Mystic World remains a difficult task, fraught with much guesswork.

However, on p. 51, please note:

"...a sincere belief in the occult or magic does not, per se, prove the defendant is insane"



Just going to quote this, as it includes the actual quotes, as the reason I didn't respond to that post.

The answers were already here!
My Characters Primus Pages
Soldier Boy Teen hero supreme
Architect The Urban Mage
The Ranger Cowboy With lasers
Hollow Point Professional Assassin