Notify Message
Forums
#8461293 Sep 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Edited over 4 years ago
23 Posts
Yowsas. It seems every time I step away from CO for a bit, the wiki goes through major upheaval and everybody has to create new accounts.

Changes in ownership and responsibilities I get, but is there a specific reason the member accounts database/table has to get rebuilt each and every time? Can it not get moved to a new server with the rest of the site content?

That said, thanks to Bob for keeping this going.
  Born a century ago and preserved by the potent magics of the Pearl of Gilgamesh, Alastair Victor Croswell has already outlived his beloved wife and scores of other heroes.
  And yet, decades after he began, the Old Man continues to take up the Sceptre of Kings to mete out justice and protect the helpless as Lord of an Empire of Ideals: The Imperial!
#8461519 Sep 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Member
1401 Posts
#8461293 The Imperial wrote:

Changes in ownership and responsibilities I get, but is there a specific reason the member accounts database/table has to get rebuilt each and every time? Can it not get moved to a new server with the rest of the site content?



In this iteration, the hosting company cut and run and did not provide access to, well, anything. Just poof.




#8461775 Sep 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
I've been taking some time to update the "Tutorial" page on PDb to be somewhat more friendly to users who are new to wiki editing-- something that I'm just about completed with.

It's my hope that following that, I'll be turning my attention to updating the rules and guidelines sections of the website, for general conduct, IP Policy and such. This is a CORPic call to action for anyone (users and mods alike) interested in leaving feedback for this project to please send me a message-- as either a forum PM or on my PDb talk page (User talk:Epelesker).
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8470839 Sep 20, 2013 at 09:50 AM
16 Posts
Thank you, PDB staff, for all effort you put into the project! You guys are awesome!
#8470975 Sep 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
Pending your feedback, my revamp to the PDB Tutorial page is more or less laid. If you have any additions or changes in mind, let me know!

And again, it's my hope to start updating Rules and Guidelines soon, possibly this weekend.
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8485619 Sep 23, 2013 at 04:32 PM
597 Posts
There is one problem when editing pages. I think that it has something to do with number of links per page. Literally every time when I'm trying to add new tropes to Haywire's page, connection to server is lost as soon as I'll push final save button.
#8485659 Sep 23, 2013 at 04:42 PM
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
#8485619 Meegatron wrote:

There is one problem when editing pages. I think that it has something to do with number of links per page. Literally every time when I'm trying to add new tropes to Haywire's page, connection to server is lost as soon as I'll push final save button.


I've personally had something similar to this happen and I don't have all that many links on my pages. If "connection to server timed out" pops up, refreshing the page (causing it to resend the data) usually works for me. Hope this helps!
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8485755 Sep 23, 2013 at 05:05 PM
597 Posts
#8485659 Epelesker wrote:

#8485619 Meegatron wrote:

There is one problem when editing pages. I think that it has something to do with number of links per page. Literally every time when I'm trying to add new tropes to Haywire's page, connection to server is lost as soon as I'll push final save button.


I've personally had something similar to this happen and I don't have all that many links on my pages. If "connection to server timed out" pops up, refreshing the page (causing it to resend the data) usually works for me. Hope this helps!

Most likely not the same problem, since refreshing connection doesn't work. It happens every time when number of trope links per section is close to 7. Around this number.
#8485998 Sep 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM
133 Posts
#8485755 Meegatron wrote:

#8485659 Epelesker wrote:

#8485619 Meegatron wrote:

There is one problem when editing pages. I think that it has something to do with number of links per page. Literally every time when I'm trying to add new tropes to Haywire's page, connection to server is lost as soon as I'll push final save button.


I've personally had something similar to this happen and I don't have all that many links on my pages. If "connection to server timed out" pops up, refreshing the page (causing it to resend the data) usually works for me. Hope this helps!

Most likely not the same problem, since refreshing connection doesn't work. It happens every time when number of trope links per section is close to 7. Around this number.


Yeah. I've had the same issues lately too. It ONLY happens when adding tropes strangely enough.

PRIMUS Database Character Index

Ingame name: @Hope1


Supergroups: Nexus Force


#8493901 Sep 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
I was looking into an issue with a user's page today (read=just now), and I got a "no data recieved" problem that indeed doesn't get fixed by refreshing-- in fact, it seems to persist while attempting to navigate to other pages for a couple minutes.

I wish I could say I knew what could be causing this, but I'm not in the technical side of things. If it is indeed being caused by the number links to outlying sites (like TVTropes, since that seems to be a popular activity among PDBers), I would possibly suggest the solution of removing links from individual tropes and use a singular reference to the TVT homepage inviting people to look up the terms themselves.
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8494010 Sep 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Member
57 Posts
Or just limit the Tropes links per page to 7, since I heard that was the magic number that once you had more than that, things got screwey, but I don't know how accurate that is.
#8494071 Sep 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
PRIMUS Mod
360 Posts
#8493901 Epelesker wrote:

I was looking into an issue with a user's page today (read=just now), and I got a "no data recieved" problem that indeed doesn't get fixed by refreshing-- in fact, it seems to persist while attempting to navigate to other pages for a couple minutes.

I wish I could say I knew what could be causing this, but I'm not in the technical side of things. If it is indeed being caused by the number links to outlying sites (like TVTropes, since that seems to be a popular activity among PDBers), I would possibly suggest the solution of removing links from individual tropes and use a singular reference to the TVT homepage inviting people to look up the terms themselves.



Yes I've been getting this too when trying to edit a few pages -- Divael and Metro Moth come to mind. Is it the tropes links that is causing this?
#8494151 Sep 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
I'm only making an uneducated, logical guess that it's likely the outsite links are causing these issues.
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8494190 Sep 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
116 Posts
This "page cannot be displayed" issue seems to be happening relatively frequently. I was editing Bronx's page just now, and was able to upload a new image, place it, save the page, and after a few minutes continuing to edit I pressed [Preview] and then the "page cannot be displayed" issue comes back up. Just now I did get a slightly different message saying "the connection was reset" though, but same result. Can't save stuff.

Seems pretty random to me.

#8494365 Sep 25, 2013 at 01:20 PM · Edited over 4 years ago
PRIMUS Mod
934 Posts
OK, some positive news: working with CC on Captain Adamant's page, removing the links from his tropes seems to have corrected the issue for him... at least for the time being. UPDATE: Or not.

With that said: Bronx, I'd still look into the hyperlink angle of the issue because you have a few of them in your content: not just for your bottom-of-page tropes, but through the rest of the article as well. It may not be as random as you think.
In-Game: @epelesker | Discord: Epelesker#9665 // PRIMUS | deviantArt | Twitter
Coalition for Organizing Metahuman Policing and Security Services
Reaching from the space between the eyes circa 1988
#8494713 Sep 25, 2013 at 02:50 PM
PRIMUS Mod
360 Posts
Appears to be happening to all pages with external links. This was not an issue before since I transferred some pages in the past that had external links just fine. It may be a site permissions issue or something? I am not sure.
#8494864 Sep 25, 2013 at 03:29 PM · Edited over 4 years ago
597 Posts
Now it goes out of control, happening even to pages with literaly few youtube links, no tropes.
It certainly has something to do with external links. Worse, it makes porting some old pages very difficult.
#8495462 Sep 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM
133 Posts
Another weird thing...I try to remove my external links to try and fix this myself (Tropes, youtube links ect.) and yet the bug persists and ports me out of the PDB while leaving those links intact on the page itself.

But at least my pages are well kept enough to not need too much editing. I can see why people are frustrated though.

PRIMUS Database Character Index

Ingame name: @Hope1


Supergroups: Nexus Force


#8495470 Sep 25, 2013 at 06:31 PM
PRIMUS Mod
459 Posts
Trying to figure out what's going on with this, folks. I'm seeing it myself on pages, so you all aren't alone.
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
#8498753 Sep 26, 2013 at 01:12 PM
PRIMUS Mod
360 Posts
Saving appears to be working again! I tested a few pages with external links and it worked fine.