Notify Message
Forums
#3161936 Sep 12, 2010 at 04:16 PM · Edited 9 years ago
Admin
1435 Posts
This isn't so much as a guide, but it contains some information that I've picked up while RPing in City of Heroes and Champions Online. Keep in mind, this is from my own perspective and I hope it helps others become better RPers.



Important Aspects to Remember

1a) God Moding
This is something that is very frowned upon in the RP scene. But what is god moding? God moding is essentially making your character appear to be the dominant hero or villain by dictating other people’s actions and/or words. An example of this: -Hero A cuts off Villain B’s head.- This is something every RPer wants to steer away from.

Other examples of god moding include the ability to mind control someone else’s characters without their permission, doing other physical harm that could mortally wound someone (I.E. dismembering someone’s limb), or stating that you know information about someone else’s character through the use of a database without the other person’s permission.


1b) Indirect God Moding
There are often times where people will god mod and not even realize it. But what are some cases of indirect god moding? Well! For one, refusal to accept another person’s attacks. What this means is that Player A is performing several actions towards player B, but player B decides to avoid being struck by any of these actions. Sometimes there are certain actions that seem too extreme and you may not want your character to be harmed. However, try to steer clear from avoiding too many actions towards you as other players would less likely want to involve you with any events or RP later on.

To avoid this, try to come up with a pattern that would benefit both you and whomever else you’re RPing with. This mostly has to do with combat RP, so don’t worry about this if it’s apart of the social aspect. I try to go for a 3:1 ratio, meaning for every 3 attacks I avoid/defend against, I take 1 attack. However, there are other factors that play into this. Things also depend on your character’s attributes, powers, and abilities. You just need to be smart about when or when you shouldn’t avoid being struck. As I mentioned this ties in with Combat RP.

1c) The Other Extreme
Yes, there is such a thing. Some people I have met have had their characters harmed quite a few times. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. It certainly shows that people are willing to put their characters in harm’s way. But! When does it become excessive? Constant injury to your character may sometimes lead to attention whoring – a phrase used for people who constantly want attention from other players. Not only this, but would it be logical if your character was critically wounded one day and then be fully operational within the week, then a few weeks later down the line, this happens again? In some cases it would, but this depends on if your character has a regenerative property. In this case, I am talking about people who don’t heal nearly as fast. This also ties in with Concepts and Logic.


2) Meta-Gaming
Another important aspect of RP to avoid. Meta-Gaming is essentially using information you found on people’s character through databases such as a wiki and exploiting it in RP. What do I mean by this? In some cases, a player may post information such as their character’s weaknesses on a wiki entry. Another player may have read something such as this and end up using said weakness in RP to do harm to the other character. An example of this would be “Hero A is weakened against obsidian.” Now, let’s assume this statement is only found through the wiki and the weakness is not known in-character. It would be very odd if another player suddenly used: “Villain B fires an obsidian arrow at Hero A.”

Another example of meta-gaming would be something like…using background information from another character for RP without asking the owner of said character for permission to use. This more or less goes in combination with god moding.


3) Communication

This might be one of the most important parts of being an RPer. You want to be clear and concise when explaining situations. If you are doing some important story RP with another player that may affect their character, you need to make sure they understand everything.

I’ll give an example of this: “Player A shoots Player B with a poisonous dart.” The explanation process of the effects can be explained either IC or OOC. Either way, the character being affected needs to know how to react to the effects of the poison.

This is one form of communication. The other has to do with language in general. Did you fully understand what was said in-character? Some characters may speak with an accent and some players may try to represent this in their dialogue. Did you fully understand the action that was performed on your character? Some wording may seem confusing to you and you may not know how to react. In the event of both of these cases, you need to ask questions to get a better understanding.


4) Be Courteous and Respectful

As a matter of fact, being polite will get you somewhere. This really has to do with being out of character. Your attitude towards people will reflect on who you are and some people may not be too interested in RPing with you. A huge reminder: we are all here to have fun. RP is meant to be a form of entertainment, don’t make things stressful for other people.

Out-of-Character Information


5) Grammar and Spelling
Although important, we all make mistakes. If you happen to make a typo in a post, don’t fret! An easy out of character fix can get that corrected. We’re not all spelling geniuses; I make the occasional typo during my RP. However…please, please stay away from lazy spelling such as using “u” for “you.” Don’t worry if you’re worried about how a word may be spelled, MMO RP goes by pretty quickly so it’s not too important, but try your best to spell anyway!

BUT! In some cases, some player’s characters may actually speak in accents and more than likely players will reflect this in their character’s speech via text. Just be sure to pay attention to the way a character speaks and all should be well. If there are some sentences you can’t make out that are in-character, don’t be afraid to ask out-of-character about what the character said.


6) Out-of-Character
To ensure the differences for in-character and out-of-character, many choose to use out-of-character brackets so people won’t be confused with in-character. Many people are more familiar with using parenthesis for their OOC brackets, but in some cases people will use: (( )), [[ ]], or even \\ for their OOC.


7) Concepts and Logic
This is a maaaajor important aspect since it involves your characters. Does your concept make sense? Will people be accepting of a giant badger that can shoot laser beams out of their nipples? Many of us come up with some great concept characters, but we also need to remember that they need to make some sense within the universe they are in. MMOs have their own lore and we need to accommodate that by trying to incorporate the MMO lore into our concept characters. You will not be seeing Green Lantern Corps members in City of Heroes or Champions Online. They do not exist within those universes. However, you will also not see Arachnos in Champions Online or DC Universe Online.

We all have different opinions on what logic is when it comes to comic book RP. However, in MMO RP, we have two different types of logic: Real world logic and comic book logic. If properly used, some things that can be considered way “out there” can truly make sense. That is, if the right argument can be made.

However! Some people neglect some logic completely. You will most likely never see a villain character in a hero hang out spot. This next example is something I have experienced seeing in Champions Online. In CO there is a club called Club Caprice. In-character wise the club is designed to be a hero hang out spot where even the NPCs inside of the club wear costumes. The only possible way to get inside of said club is to show you are a hero, by showing you have meta-abilities. This is sort of my own pet peeve…but some people actually bring children characters into an adult club. Not only this, but some people disregard the entire atmosphere and completely forget the entire club is full of heroes and tend to start conflicts in said club.


8.) Homages are Awesome, Blatant Copies are Not

When developing a character, we all have the tendency to base our new characters off of already established ones. Some may base their character off of Batman, Iron Man, or even off of video game characters such as Marcus Fenix from Gears of War. But where do we draw the line? If you make the character and basically use the name and look from an iconic character, then yes you are pretty much ripping off the entire character to play as. Doing this will get you into some trouble since the MMO scene reeeeaaaallly does not like this. It involves some issues with IPs and the GMs have the ability to delete your character, make you rename it, change the look or even possibly ban you from the game. This is where the homage character comes into play. A homage is your own take on an iconic character. For instance, someone can take Batman and make a character called Nighthawk. The basic theme for Batman can be used, I.E. using gadgets, having no powers and relying on their own skills but have a costume based around a hawk rather than a bat. It is a character inspired by an iconic character and this is more openly welcomed.

9) Respect the Lore

This goes along with Logic. Try to remember what setting you’re in. Every MMO has their own set of lore that it uses. Some games use lore based off already established lore from comic books, pen and paper games or other resources. If you’re not versed in let’s say…DC comics lore, my best bet is to make some friends that are. Some people would happily help you out with some questions you might have. If you’re not sure about a particular thing about being in the lore, ask around. People will answer your questions and probably point you out to some wikis where you can look up some information. Do some research and try your best to stick with the game’s lore.

The same goes to people who make up their own lore! For some people, they make up their own worlds, races, etc. As roleplayers we need to respect that and ask questions about the fictional races that we create. Don’t assume that your character will magically know who they are if the only information is coming from one specific person. Ask questions to see if any info about their characters are located in documents and whatnot.

10) Don’t Limit Yourself

What do I mean by this? I mean: don’t limit yourself on what you can and can’t RP. Characters have their quarks, tendencies, phobias, what have you, but we need to try and not confine ourselves to RP in certain situations. What you are doing is limiting the possible amount of RP you can participate in. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try different RP. Try not to develop a character that might possibly hinder your ability to RP as well.

This is quoted from a friend of mine (@thequimper) that suggested this:

“My character isn't very social/My character would never go to X or Y place.

You're really limiting yourself with this. Not only do you cut yourself off from a lot of interaction with others, you severely limit what interactions you do have. Think of your characters as people. Just because your character has a certain trait it doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Real people do things they wouldn't normally do all the time for no reason whatsoever. While I'm not saying completely change your character just to find RP, you should be thinking about what would be running through their mind. Wouldn't they start to feel lonely? Wouldn't they want to seek out like-minded people? Would it really matter if they were in a club or a gym or a magic bookstore as long as they were someone they could talk to and potentially make a friend out of? It's human nature to feel alone and disconnected, people seek other people to ease their minds. So budge a little and go out and find people to talk to!”

11) Be Active!

Another quote from a fellow CORP member (Bubbleyum):

“If your character is one of those quiet types, then try to find other ways to put life into your character. Action based emotes and broadcasting your character's personal thoughts are a great way to keep other players interested in your character. Use your judgment on how often you do these, especially during a suspenseful situation-no one wants to have their RP sidetracked from walls of non-conversational text.”


12) The “I’m Bored” Syndrome

This is something I have seen trickle over into IC. There are players that may say they are bored and want to RP, then actually have this be reflected IC. An example of this: there is a main IC channel in Champions Online. This channel is designed to be a communications network that heroes can keep in touch with one another in case of emergencies. However, even then there would be characters that will say they are bored. Now, this is mostly a pet peeve of mine, but why would someone claim they are bored over a network designed for heroes? It does not make sense! Go out and beat up some criminals!

13) When to Take IC to OOC and Vice Versa

I usually try to go by the philosophy of “never take IC to OOC,” but sometimes it’s impossible. There are times that make me literally bang my head against the desk when I read something ridiculous that was IC. However, a lot of the time this is because some people just lack common sense. An example would be going back to the one I gave about children characters being taken into clubs. This is just one of the things that make me cringe.

Besides this, there are a lot of other things that shouldn’t be taken to OOC. If a character is brash and offensive, don’t take this to heart and think the character reflects the player. You need to remember that the dialogue was said in-character and was meant to remain that way. Think of yourself as being an actor in a movie.

Sometimes we aren’t doing too well in real life. People get moody, depressed, annoyed, etc. but we need to try and keep ourselves from seeping into our characters. We may have dislikes towards someone else’s character, but we need to try and keep OOC and IC separate. Just because there are certain things we don’t like about another character OOC, doesn’t mean we should automatically dislike said character IC.


Event and Text Combat RP


14) Event RP

One of the largest forms of RP. Many people use this as a social aspect, but in this case I will be talking about Heroes versus Villains RP. People enjoy doing this sort of RP since it can be pretty entertaining. However, a lot of the time this type of event RP can turn into a clusterfuck – a term used for when too many players are present and players lose track of what is happening. Many of us have bumped into this at one point or another in MMO RP. If you’re new to MMO RP, you may run into this eventually. How do you prevent an event from becoming a clusterfuck? Well! There are several methods and I will be sharing my own that I’ve used.


15) Limiting Size

If you open up an RP to be an event, it is possible to limit the size of how many players can join. One way of limiting the size is to have a signup sheet. This is mostly used for RP that will be happening at a later time.

But what if you’re doing a more impromptu event? Simple: You state to players that you are only taking so many people. You can do this in-character and/or out-of-character. An example for IC can be something like “There is something going on downtown and we need a team of heroes to investigate.” But how many people for a team? It depends. I usually go by the number of people who can join a team using the in-game mechanic. In Champions Online’s case, I use five. You can also state however many people you want to show by using OOC brackets.


16) The Turn Based System

Just the simple subtitle seems weird doesn’t it? But yes! It is possible to implement a turn-based system for event RP.

Its Purpose: the purpose of a turn order is to give every player an equal chance in an event. For many events that I have gone to, many people ended up feeling left out, felt unimportant, or got bored due to events turning into clusterfucks. We all want to feel important right? But why should someone else bully their way into being the main hero? The turn-based system prevent this from happening and really gives players the feeling that their characters were working as a team.

How it works: turn orders are determined on how many players are present. I will give an example by using 7 characters (6 heroes and 1 villain). Turn orders are also determined by a Dungeon Master, or Game Master depending on what you want to call them. With 6 heroes and 1 villain, the numbers seem to be very uneven. With the turn-order, we can fix that!

The Steps:

1: Heroes A & B are instructed by the GM to attack the villain.
2: GM instructs the villain to react (may it be avoidance, taking hits, a combination of the two or counterattack).
3: Villain counters and attacks Hero B, D and E.
4: Heroes B, D and E react (but may not counterattack!).
5: GM instructs Heroes C and D to attack.
6: Step 2 is repeated.
7: Villain counters and attacks Hero C and F.
8: Step 4 repeats, except with corresponding players of previous step.
9: GM instructs Heroes E and F to attack.
10: Step 2 is repeated.

As you can see, the turn order may be quite active. This style of combat also gives the villain the ability to act more often than the heroes due to the difference in player amount. It’s a strange system to master, but once more people get a feel for it, it becomes easier to use.


17) Use “try” and “attempt.”

When performing an action on another character, be sure to use words such as “try” and “attempt.” This prevents posts from appearing as god mod-ish. An example of this: -Hero A attempts to throw a right hook for Villain B.- What this does is opens up the opportunity for the second player to either take the punch or avoid it completely. In my experience, players are more willing to take a hit when people use these types of lead-ins for attacks.

18) When to Lose

A great thing to remember when doing combat RP. There is no such thing as “Heroes always win.” The same thing goes for villains. When doing confrontation RP for Heroes vs. Villains, it’s best to alternate on when to win/lose. This is especially true if you are RPing with a static group of heroes and villains. When developing a plot that involves confrontation, we want to establish beforehand of who will win/lose. This does not mean everyone will know of this. That would be boring and full of spoilers after all! On the contrary, the people in charge of the plot should know beforehand of who wins/loses.

19) There is Strong and Then There is Overpowered

Some of our characters are meant to be powerhouses. We design and develop characters that are meant to be incredible. However, do we sometimes make them overpowered? I have to say yes. A lot of people do. I have come across a lot of characters that claim to be the god of “something.” Very rarely do you see characters that begin from the ground up. Many people begin RPing their characters as having their powers for X amount of time and in most cases X would equal amount of years.

The problem I have with this is: too many people expect their characters to be superior to others. This is the wrong approach to take and it turns people away from wanting to interact with said character. You want to find some middle ground. Yes, you can make your character a badass, but you need to give them some kind of weakness. Perfect characters are characters that become bland and most likely will result in people not wanting to interact with them.

Villain characters should also follow this. When playing a villain, we want ourselves to be someone that people will enjoy having confrontations with. We want people to feel that we are their Arch-nemesis. How do we do this? We try to craft a villain that has strengths that don’t seem too overpowered, but at the same time have weaknesses that heroes can exploit. When playing a villain, the most important thing you want to remember is: don’t be afraid to lose. If you truly believe that villains should always be more powerful and therefore should always win, then a villain may not be something for you to play.


20) There is No Such Thing as Invincible

Every character can be harmed. This is something you definitely want to remember. Every character has a weakness, may it be their ego, their phobias, or even fire. Yes, fire, the stuff that buuuurns! If you play or will want to play a god character this is something to remember. In mythology, literature and even in comic books, it has been proven that gods can be killed. I am not trying to discourage people from trying to play one of these characters, I am simply saying that it would be impossible to make an unkillable character.

But what if you’re playing an invulnerable character? I play these and from experience, it’s not hard to make them seem vulnerable. You need to develop attributes for the character that can be played as a weakness. For instance, my main character Azunai is an invulnerable character. He often makes decisions that eventually get him into trouble. He’s also one of my characters that seem human, as in he deals with a lot of issues that people would face in real life. Because of this, his mental state is not as strong as others. At one time I even ran an event to progress some of his story that involved him becoming de-powered for a time. Azunai may be one of my strongest characters, but at the same time, he is my weakest.
#3162044 Sep 12, 2010 at 04:47 PM
Member
1134 Posts
Something of a subversion of 6 - Communication helps a LOT. If there's some confusion or conflict coming up in the RP, feel free to put things on pause for a minute and sidebar to clear it up in conversation. Far superior to the alternative of "Just keep going until someone gives up and leaves or lets the other side do what they want to do," which can result in resentment and sniping and general badness no one wants.
#3162298 Sep 12, 2010 at 06:06 PM
Member
393 Posts
1) God Modding

The best way I can describe how to NOT do this is to make like you're playing Magic the Gathering or other kind of card game. When you say "I attack with X", you have to be aware that your opponent may have an instant card (YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!).

In addition, while you may have counters to those counters, you may not have counters to those counters to your counter. So, you have to use your gut on how much is too much, since you don't have mana, life points, or facedown trap cards on a playing field.

2) Meta Gaming

This is something to be very cautious of when dealing with plot, particularly if you are aware of certain plot elements OOCly. Granted, if the character has legitimate reason to notice certain things, you shouldn't be afraid for him/her to point out "Gee, don't you think X could happen because Y character saw Z happen? I mean, he/she was very Q." From my own observations, in some cases, it can sometimes leave characters standing about "Gee, I hope nothing totally ever happens to cause anyone harm despite the variance of consequences that could have happened from such rash actions. Oh look, a bird--THAT'S NO MOON--"

In some cases, Meta-gaming is sometimes not even necessary to exploit a character's weakness. Although I've never explicitly stated it anywhere, it would make perfect sense to assume that because Darius is able to manipulate and generate hard and soft light that affecting him with Qliphothic energies could lead to very, VERY bad things happening (For those who don't know: light EXPLODES in the qliphothic realm). Granted, this can be a dual edged sword, but it can still be swung in favor of one end or the other.

3) Grammar and Spelling

Lulz, lrn2play nubs.

4) Out-of-character

I'm in character. ((No I'm not.))

5) Concepts and Logic

OK, I'll admit. I can be a master of bullsh*t. Granted, I can make that bullsh*t make sense (for the most part). Does it mean I'll exploit it to ruin RP? Oh hell no. Does what I end up making work OK? I'd like to think it does...

As for this...

#3161936 Reldin wrote:

We all have different opinions on what logic is when it comes to comic book RP. However, in MMO RP, we have two different types of logic: Real world logic and comic book logic. If properly used, some things that can be considered way “out there” can truly make sense. That is, if the right argument can be made.



Hmm...a blue furred, musclebound wolf as Taoist paladin who shoots laser beams and doubles as a sub-par White Mage and Monk...

...no comment...

6) Never, EVER take IC to OOC

I...honestly heavily disagree with this. While In-character should remain in-character, I've been and played in situations where I consented to various things...only to never be told certain things were going to happen that would inevitably lead to character death without consideration. The frustrating bit? Being unable to do anything because communication OOC is impossible due to a simple /shrug and /lol. That's not acceptable.

RP is based purely, PURELY on trust. I've said that time and time again in CORP and several other places, but it seriously needs to be remembered. Otherwise, if you don't trust people or they don't trust you, there's going to be a sh*tstorm. If anything needs to be said OOC to make sure things don't totally turn over, then do it. I've been on CORP where the discussion of whether or not a character should be killed or not due to game lore, despite the fact that the player wanted to continue playing the character. However, no one seemed to be willing to take the player's side. That's coercion and that's also not acceptable.

Should there be consequences for IC actions? Of course! Should they immediately mean "Off with her head!"? No.

Seriously, in terms of basic RP and just conversation and text-fighting, you shouldn't blend IC with OOC. But if any side is feeling "Wait, this isn't fair"? That's a sign of loss of trust and needs to be remedied. On that end, I agree with Shjade.

7) Use "Try" and "Attempted

It goes with what I said about #1. Not every counter has a counter to a counter to a counter. You only have so many "trap cards" on your playing field. Attempt rather than "does" is usually a safer alternative to defined action verbs. Use judgment on the language you choose.
#3162995 Sep 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Member
2130 Posts
Know your character, know your partner's character and don't be a dick.
#3163006 Sep 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Moderator
4314 Posts
Be MEEEEEE.


1. Put yourself in your character's shoes. Remember, not only are you writing a character, but (more often than not) you're writing a person too. Before typing away your character's reaction to something, consider "how would a regular person react to this?" and contrast that with what their background would indicate. Alot of the time you'll see ridiculously overstated reactions because people have nothing to scale back with.

Understandably this is a game based on comicbook kinds of heroes and villains and stories, but I'm of the opinion that again it is vital to strike a balance between the way people act in general, and how they act within any given context.
This is my Mod voice.
@leetsepeak ingame.
"He wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it." - George Orwell

#3163064 Sep 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM
PRIMUS Mod
514 Posts
Will people be accepting of a giant badger that can shoot laser beams out of their nipples?

Yes! :)

The tips are good and well-written.

RP is mostly about collaboration, so if you don't share your toys and play nice, it will never work.

Really every tip could just be summarized as: "Be good to the other role players and they will be good to you".

And once you have rapport with a good role player, most of the rules go out the window. The key ingredient I think to any role play is: trust. There's a reason why actors practice so many trust exercises when a new cast is formed.
GENESIS LEAGUE:

#3163089 Sep 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM
103 Posts
I can get behind this thread.

ADDENDUM TIME!

8. Homages are cool. Copies are not.

Listen, we all have favorite characters. Characters with traits and mannerisms we admire, and wish to see shared with the world. However, let's think a moment: Remember having/hearing tails about a younger sibling who would follow the older about, copying everything they do? Remember how annoying that was/was presented? Do you really want to be that person? Of course not. As cool as you think your favorite character from whatever it is you're drawing might be, they're only cool once. People will respect you more if you're able to fold in aspects, rather than outright copy things.
Head of Barghest.
#3163243 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM · Edited 9 years ago
PRIMUS Mod
1619 Posts
Some good thoughts. Know what the hot button issues of the people you're playing with. People come into RP with varying expectations on a lot of issues: but these four seem to be the biggest stumbling blocks.

--faithfulness to lore and respect for the other person's backstory.
--degree of sex and violence (are you teen-friendly or adult?)
--choice of subgenre (are you four colors or dark?)
--power and influence level.

Be flexible, communicate, try to make the other character look good, try to make the other player feel great. Keep conflict as IC as possible. Keep a positive attitude as much as you can -- too much negativity, especially OOC negativity, sours the pool. And good luck. Good RP in a stressful situation is *hard*.
New sig to follow.
#3164662 Sep 13, 2010 at 07:17 AM
Member
193 Posts
If your character is one of those quiet types, then try to find other ways to put life into your character. Action based emotes and broadcasting your character's personal thoughts are a great way to keep other players interested in your character. Use your judgment on how often you do these, especially during a suspenseful situation-no one wants to have their RP sidetracked from walls of non-conversational text.
PRIMUS:Bubbleyum
PRIMUS:Latyrx
Latyrx: Father's Bio

"This ain't a pen; it's a paint brush,
And I intend to rearrange how they paint us"

-Lupe Fiasco
#3166139 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Moderator
544 Posts
I'd like to append another thing I see a lot of:

My character isn't very social/My character would never go to X or Y place.

You're really limiting yourself with this. Not only do you cut yourself off from a lot of interaction with others, you severely limit what interactions you do have. This goes back to what leet posted earlier, think of your characters as people. Just because your character has a certain trait it doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Real people do things they wouldn't normally do all the time for no reason whatsoever. While I'm not saying completely change your character just to find RP, you should be thinking about what would be running through their mind. Wouldn't they start to feel lonely? Wouldn't they want to seek out like-minded people? Would it really matter if they were in a club or a gym or a magic bookstore as long as they were someone they could talk to and potentially make a friend out of? It's human nature to feel alone and disconnected, people seek other people to ease their minds. So budge a little and go out and find people to talk to!
#3166176 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Member
742 Posts
"Indirect Godmoding"

Basically refusing to have your character hurt even in the slightest. Incredibly annoying. Apparently some people seem to think their characters can dodge or absorb everything no matter what. This is almost as bad, if not worse, than typical godmoding, and seems to happen more often. Obviously, extenuating circumstances might make this acceptable, but by and large, if you're having a textfight, this is the sole reason they tend to drag on and on as they do. Our characters are agile, resilient, and downright tough, but they aren't invincible. Something in the universe can and will hurt them, and if it is brought to bear against them, it should have the proper effect.
#3166216 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Member
259 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you consider that 'indirect' godmoding?
#3166264 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Member
312 Posts
Because it encourages godmode behaviours. I ran into a lot on a Game That Will Not Be Named.
#3166279 Sep 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Member
259 Posts
I personally just lump it in with regular godmoding, heh.
#3166303 Sep 13, 2010 at 01:02 PM
Moderator
544 Posts
Most people who do it don't realize that what they're doing is the problem. They're not actively trying to be difficult, but they make it really hard to play with them if there are no stakes involved. It may stem from a desire not to be the polar opposite: The character who is ALWAYS getting injured/mortally wounded.
#3166347 Sep 13, 2010 at 01:10 PM
Member
742 Posts
#3166216 Karinya wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you consider that 'indirect' godmoding?


It's typically not immediately what comes to mind when people think of godmoding.
#3166360 Sep 13, 2010 at 01:12 PM · Edited 9 years ago
Member
393 Posts
It's really best to play a balance. Yeah, I could RP Darius as though he can react to nearly any situation and be successful, but that's only if I have a controller. He's not using a video game controller and doesn't have button combos, meaning he's going to screw up by being human.

If a swarm of giant bees is going to be coming at him unexpectedly, he'll probably be knocked down from the surprise and stung a few times. At the same time, it may or may not cripple him (depending on GM discretion), but knocking him out from a bunch of bees without that say so would be a slight anticlimactic if he went "MEDIC! ...oh...crap." without really good, believable reasoning.

Though, that's just my two cents on that.

#3173099 Sep 14, 2010 at 06:55 PM
Benefactor
799 Posts
#3166139 thequimper wrote:

I'd like to append another thing I see a lot of:

My character isn't very social/My character would never go to X or Y place.

You're really limiting yourself with this. Not only do you cut yourself off from a lot of interaction with others, you severely limit what interactions you do have. This goes back to what leet posted earlier, think of your characters as people. Just because your character has a certain trait it doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Real people do things they wouldn't normally do all the time for no reason whatsoever. While I'm not saying completely change your character just to find RP, you should be thinking about what would be running through their mind. Wouldn't they start to feel lonely? Wouldn't they want to seek out like-minded people? Would it really matter if they were in a club or a gym or a magic bookstore as long as they were someone they could talk to and potentially make a friend out of? It's human nature to feel alone and disconnected, people seek other people to ease their minds. So budge a little and go out and find people to talk to!



This Is partially true.

It really DOES limit you to say that your character would NEVER go x because of y. I can't count the times where I haven't been able to indulge in any RP because it took place is gross Sherrerrareradsadsas' Bar. There have been times where I wanted to just say 'fuck it' and go, because I wanted to RP... But that was -my- desire, not Rezz's. It's important to stay true to your character and react as they would. I try my very best not to let my own bias affect my characters decision making, and it is sometimes very difficult. Going to nasty, run down, hole-in-the-wall bars is absolutely not something Rezz would do, nor would he go to Caprice, if he can help it. Rezz just isn't the type to feel that powerful need to interact with other people or make friends, and I play him as such.
#3173124 Sep 14, 2010 at 07:02 PM
Member
819 Posts
#3173099 Rezz wrote:

#3166139 thequimper wrote:

I'd like to append another thing I see a lot of:

My character isn't very social/My character would never go to X or Y place.

You're really limiting yourself with this. Not only do you cut yourself off from a lot of interaction with others, you severely limit what interactions you do have. This goes back to what leet posted earlier, think of your characters as people. Just because your character has a certain trait it doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Real people do things they wouldn't normally do all the time for no reason whatsoever. While I'm not saying completely change your character just to find RP, you should be thinking about what would be running through their mind. Wouldn't they start to feel lonely? Wouldn't they want to seek out like-minded people? Would it really matter if they were in a club or a gym or a magic bookstore as long as they were someone they could talk to and potentially make a friend out of? It's human nature to feel alone and disconnected, people seek other people to ease their minds. So budge a little and go out and find people to talk to!



This Is partially true.

It really DOES limit you to say that your character would NEVER go x because of y. I can't count the times where I haven't been able to indulge in any RP because it took place is gross Sherrerrareradsadsas' Bar. There have been times where I wanted to just say 'fuck it' and go, because I wanted to RP... But that was -my- desire, not Rezz's. It's important to stay true to your character and react as they would. I try my very best not to let my own bias affect my characters decision making, and it is sometimes very difficult. Going to nasty, run down, hole-in-the-wall bars is absolutely not something Rezz would do, nor would he go to Caprice, if he can help it. Rezz just isn't the type to feel that powerful need to interact with other people or make friends, and I play him as such.


Keio has offered to drug him and kidnap him just so he can make it into the bar =P
#3199109 Sep 19, 2010 at 08:50 PM
PRIMUS Mod
32 Posts
I think there's something on the other end of the spectrum from God-modding that's almost equally annoying for some, and that's the injury attention whore.

I've run into this several times. While most of our characters are mortal in some way, the RP type where the character is constantly injured/Soap Opera 'in a coma'/on death's door every other day to pull people into sympathetic RP just seems to end up being a grab for attention. It's very soap opera. The occasional injury is to be expected, but when every other conversation contains some story about how your character is in a coma/has a brain tumor/isn't expected to make it...it gets stale very quickly and seems to be a crutch. It seems to me that it'd be common courtesy if there's a story/event going on and people have their role and story in full effect, it comes across as an attempt to derail when suddenly the call comes across that X character is hurt badly. the common OOC conversation starts consisting of "Again?"

This came off as a little more ranty than I'd intended, but just thought it might be something to bring up as on the other end of the spectrum from God-modding.
What part of phnglui mglw'nafl Cthulhu r'lyeh w'gah nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

If Robert Smith is the Cure, I'd hate to see the Disease...